Sparse Mapping Improvements Help Radeon RADV Driver With Some Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparse Mapping Improvements Help Radeon RADV Driver With Some Games

Phoronix: Sparse Mapping Improvements Help Radeon RADV Driver With Some Games

Adding to the growing list of Mesa 22.0 features are more Radeon Vulkan "RADV" driver improvements to help with gaming performance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have tested that yesterday before the merging,
    Before this MR you had to play with environmental quality set to low to avoid stutter and game stalls,

Now with every setting set to maximum the game allows it is playable,
    there are still some micro stutters at maximum settings but they hardly affect gameplay.

Comment

I have just reported a texture filtering regression on my Vega 56 in today's mesa-git, tested with Battlefield 1. Just beware of the dragons before happily trying this out...

Comment

It seems to be really difficult to ideally map D3D12 -> Vulkan via generic wrapper. Kudos to the devs!
        But I also can't hide the disappointment that it takes so much longer than it took DXVK +drivers for D3D11.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
          It seems to be really difficult to ideally map D3D12 -> Vulkan via generic wrapper. Kudos to the devs!
          But I also can't hide the disappointment that it takes so much longer than it took DXVK +drivers for D3D11.
          DX12 is closer in level to Vulkan that older directX versions. It was designed to be lower level. Also, as it is the current version, there are constant improvements and feature updates.

eg, DirectX12 Ultimate was only revealed in March 2020, implementated later than that.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
            DX12 is closer in level to Vulkan that older directX versions.
            That doesn't automatically mean it's easier to make a generic API wrapper that works without visual glitches or other issues in all cases, depending on differences in hardware and drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
              That doesn't automatically mean it's easier to make a generic API wrapper that works without visual glitches or other issues in all cases, depending on differences in hardware and drivers.
              I was suggesting the opposite - that it makes it harder (to translate dx12).

Comment

Is it Forza 4 or Forza 5 where you get to drive round Edinburgh?

Comment

Working...
                X