No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 9.4 Finally Brings X Server 1.6 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OMG, then AMD is going the right direction, faster support for newer kernel and xorg-server than it used to be, and less secretive and obsessed about NDAs. Keep up the good work guys.

Been using the driver fro the whole day, and so far so good, even though there is still a long way to go, things are going smoother than ever.

Comment

Originally posted by storma View Post
      Hmm.. with 8.* I saw steady improvement with fglrx.
      Now with the 9.* series, I see steady regressions.
      [SNIP]
      card: 4870, reckon I'm done with it.
      I've been using my old Nvidia 7600GS ever since I got my 4870. The catalyst has never ever worked for me. Always get a system freeze when starting X.

Lesson learnt. Never buy ATi not matter how cheap it is.

Comment

I dumped my 4850 for the exact reason. Looking for a GTX 260+ for my next upgrade.

Comment

I've done some more testing since last night, mythtv will work properly with compiz turned off.

Savage2 behaves the same, with and without compiz, on a 4870 and a 2600. Interesting note though, I haven't been able to use xine for ages due to a similar error but now xine works.

This is on Debian stable.

Comment

Originally posted by cruiseoveride View Post
            I've been using my old Nvidia 7600GS ever since I got my 4870. The catalyst has never ever worked for me. Always get a system freeze when starting X.

Lesson learnt. Never buy ATi not matter how cheap it is.
            Did you try it again with later drivers?

NVIDIA driver didn't work perfect for me with 2D and compiz, the oss ati driver always was better in this case. And even fglrx worked quiet good without compiz.

Comment

Here I was, all happy to test 9-4 with Sid 2.6.29 and Xorg 1.6, but sadly, 9-4 just failed to really start X. It tries, with or without the patches, but it just can't do it. And now the 32 bit Sid package builder is broken like the 64 bit stuff.

Not sure what to tell our users, I guess maybe see if it works for some people, this is I think a 4830 card, installs, using the direct installer method, not package builder, but X fails, glimmers, sparks for a second, then that dreaded fuzzy red line top screen and nothing but a cursor. On the bright side, at least you can jump down to console without a hard lock to kill X and contemplate our navels.

Bridgeman, I hope you're preparing a bailout package for yourself and your family, after this final suckers rally finishes, I wouldn't put high odds on the future there. Good luck, thanks for all your attempts to bring some light to this darkness.

Comment

Unfortunately I can't get 9.4 running properly yet. With dual head I got screen corruption on my main screen and on my tv. I once got it right, except gnome considered my tv screen as the main screen (anybody an idea how I should fix that?).

I couldn't get hybrid crossfire (AMD 780G and HD3450) working either, that also gave screen corruption.

The only plus I've seen so far: when I got dual-head working, but with my tv as main screen I tried switching on the desktop effects and the system didn't crash! (all driver releases before made my dual-head setup with two separate desktops crash when I tried to switch on desktop effects, or log in with a user that had desktop effects enabled).

Basically... this might be a no go for me, unless somehow I get everything working in the end. Hybrid crossfire isn't that important, but I must at least be able to use my dual-head setup to watch movies on my tv.

Oh: Ubuntu 8.04.2

Comment

Originally posted by Heiko View Post
                  Unfortunately I can't get 9.4 running properly yet. With dual head I got screen corruption on my main screen and on my tv. I once got it right, except gnome considered my tv screen as the main screen (anybody an idea how I should fix that?).

I couldn't get hybrid crossfire (AMD 780G and HD3450) working either, that also gave screen corruption.

The only plus I've seen so far: when I got dual-head working, but with my tv as main screen I tried switching on the desktop effects and the system didn't crash! (all driver releases before made my dual-head setup with two separate desktops crash when I tried to switch on desktop effects, or log in with a user that had desktop effects enabled).

Basically... this might be a no go for me, unless somehow I get everything working in the end. Hybrid crossfire isn't that important, but I must at least be able to use my dual-head setup to watch movies on my tv.

Oh: Ubuntu 8.04.2
                  How are you setting up your dualscreen? With amdcccle or randr?

Comment

Hi Yall,

Cat 9.4 working ok here, on Debian with the 2.6.26 kernel, on KDE 4.2.2, HD-4870. No tearing with video.

Compositing stuff is turned off. Sure does look purty etc, but is not mature enough for my taste, in Tuxland.

@ Bridgeman, may I respectfully sugest the following be redrafted in your online dox, "Linux kernel 2.6 or above;" since this is wrong. Better to say which/specify kernels are supported, by which drivers.

Much white noise/confusion, will be avoided. :-)

@ cruiseoveride, 4870 does work on Linux. Hence, whatever you have been doing so far, needs to be modified & improved.

The puzzle does form a picture, we just need to line up the pieces correctly.

What distro, kernel?

I can offer some limited help with Debian.

Greekgeek :-)

Comment

I can't even load the fglrx module for my RS690M in Ubuntu 8.10. The driver can't allocate memory. I've installed it with --buildandinstallpkg Ubuntu/8.10 and I'm back to 9.3. But graphics in Ankh2 and Jack Keane are corrupted. Now both games crash and I can't play on. I really hope for the free drivers.

Comment

Working...
                      X