No announcement yet.

X.Org ATI Driver Supports New Power Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good point -- the X2 boards have a bridge chip between the GPU and the bus connector, so changing the number of PCIE lanes on your card might require reprogramming the bridge chip as well.

You might want to comment out or skip over the code that changes the # of lanes and see if that helps. You could probably just jimmy the switch(lanes) statement so that 4 bits was treated the same way as 16 bits.
    Last edited by bridgman; 15 April 2009, 08:51 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      This code only adjusts the engine clock so far, not the memory clock; changing engine speed is pretty safe because you can block acceleration while changing the clock. Changing the memory clock reliably is more difficult. You also need some pretty complex logic to make sure that the memory clock doesn't get too low for your display bandwidth and latency requirements, or you start to get artifacts on the screen very quickly.
      Very interesting indeed!

Remember that dynamic power management is governed by Schmidt's law -- "if you mess with something enough, it'll break".
      So power management is not really a hardware designed property, but just something that is possible because of good quality components?

We'll probably try to identify a subset of the information which gives the biggest power savings without being too painful to code for on all the different GPUs and systems. As with 6xx 3D, we will probably release a mix of documentation and code.

Probably more than 10 pages but not a lot more, although if you count things like display bandwidth and latency calculations the numbers go up quickly.
      Thanks

Comment

Looks like the 3d engine is failing to idle. I assume you only have that problem when you enable the ForceLowPowerMode? You might try commenting out the RADEONWaitForIdleMMIO(pScrn); lines in radeon_pm.c.

Comment

You could probably just jimmy the switch(lanes) statement so that 4 bits was treated the same way as 16 bits.

It solved the problem. My card is now a bit quieter .

I'll try agd5f's solution as well.

EDIT: still get a hard lock with agd5f's solution.
          Last edited by Xipeos; 15 April 2009, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
            So power management is not really a hardware designed property, but just something that is possible because of good quality components?
            It's more the fact that power management ties into everything, so it's tricky to get right and still have everything work properly.

Comment

Yeah, nobody ever seems to want to transfer *into* the power management team
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                It's more the fact that power management ties into everything, so it's tricky to get right and still have everything work properly.
                So it is like programming for multiple cores?

Comment

Yeah, nobody ever seems to want to transfer *into* the power management team
                  That's humour

Reminds me of a Dilbert strip, where it was made a company policy that if something doesn't work, then blame the intern

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
                    So it is like programming for multiple cores?
                    It's sort of like programming for a constantly and unpredictably varying number of cores
                    Test signature

Comment

It's sort of like programming for a constantly and unpredictably varying number of cores
                      hahah

Reminds me of a time where I didn't knew I should check if I got the allocated memory.

Comment

Working...
                      X