Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Readies New Radeon Driver Code For Linux 5.17: STB, Seamless Boot For Van Gogh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Readies New Radeon Driver Code For Linux 5.17: STB, Seamless Boot For Van Gogh

Phoronix: AMD Readies New Radeon Driver Code For Linux 5.17: STB, Seamless Boot For Van Gogh

Along with Intel this week sending out some of their initial graphics driver changes destined for the Linux 5.17 cycle early next year, AMD today also submitted their first batch of AMDGPU DRM driver changes intended for this next kernel version...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Flicker-free boot on AMD? Finally!
    Now if only that feature was available on their dedicated graphics cards...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      For quite a few kernel versions already I get this weird effect when during boot the font (in the framebuffer?) is first really big, then it turns small as it should be and stays that way. Not a deal breaker for anything, but slightly annoying that it regressed.

(RX 6800 XT / DP / 2560x1440 / 144 Hz) .
      Last edited by shmerl; 02 December 2021, 11:29 PM.

Comment

OLED backlight handling
        Um, what?

Comment

Originally posted by Imroy View Post

Um, what?
          Is this for HDR?

I believe amd's driver stack didn't know how to deal with FALD and Oled backlights, hence why there are no freesync-premium-pro monitors with anything more than small-number edge-lit backlights.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

For quite a few kernel versions already I get this weird effect when during boot the font (in the framebuffer?) is first really big, then it turns small as it should be and stays that way. Not a deal breaker for anything, but slightly annoying that it regressed.

(RX 6800 XT / DP / 2560x1440 / 144 Hz) .
            I have another issue with the frame buffer during boot. Between rEfind (or grub) and GDM, the screen gets a number of vertical flickering "stacks" of various heights.
            I haven't gotten around to logging a bug for it. I recently got a 6700 XT, after buying a 5120x1440 UltraWide curved screen, and it only happens when running the screen at that resolution. If I split the screen into two, treating it as two separate screens, the issue doesn't show up.
            Screenshot_20211203-105539_Gallery.jpg
            I need to gather the energy to log a bug.

Comment

I hope they can make those Van Gogh APUs work right. I was looking on the internet and they produce very bad quality graphics:

autorretrato_van_gogh.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post

Is this for HDR?

I believe amd's driver stack didn't know how to deal with FALD and Oled backlights, hence why there are no freesync-premium-pro monitors with anything more than small-number edge-lit backlights.
                OLED doesn't have a back light it has surface lighting.

Does any one know if VG is actually in the wild yet beyond a few steam decks that youtubers got to fondle?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                  I wouldn't hold my hopes up. I doubt AMD engineers can implement something like this, either on dedicated or integrated GPUs.
                  They can advertise it, but it will never work. Just look at OpenCL.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post

Is this for HDR?

fald is a scam which distorts your image to game metrics

Comment

Working...
                    X