Minecraft Now 30% Faster With Open-Source AMD Radeon Driver On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gk64 View Post
    So will it work if i add "mesa_glthread=true" in the minecraft arguments (launch options)???
    It's an environment variable, so your command line like should look something like:

mesa_glthread=true <whatever you normally type to run minecraft>
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

It's an environment variable, so your command line like should look something like:

mesa_glthread=true <whatever you normally type to run minecraft>
      you mean in the terminal? For example to run Minecraft in terminalminecraft)
      it will turn out like this:"mesa_glthread=true "minecraft" BTW when mesa version 22 will release, is there a need for mesa_glthread??? So Minecraft will automatically run with opengl threading with the new coming mesa version? Thanks for the reply!!!
      ​​​​

Comment

Yes, my understanding is that with the new version of Mesa discussed in the article the environment variable (or at least the behaviour) will automatically be set.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by cewbdex View Post
          I think Valve will fix the issue with CS:GO, as they will want the most performance on the deck, hopefully this flag will be enabled in the future by default and have blacklist rather than whitelist.
          If I read this file correctly, it's already enabled?
          Code:
          <application name="Counter-Strike Global Offensive" executable="csgo_linux64">
            <option name="mesa_glthread" value="true" />
            <option name="radeonsi_zerovram" value="true" />
            <option name="radeonsi_clamp_div_by_zero" value="true" />
          </application>

Comment

Originally posted by smirky View Post

If I read this file correctly, it's already enabled?
            Code:
            <application name="Counter-Strike Global Offensive" executable="csgo_linux64">
            <option name="mesa_glthread" value="true" />
            <option name="radeonsi_zerovram" value="true" />
            <option name="radeonsi_clamp_div_by_zero" value="true" />
            </application>
            The issue with CS:GO was fixed a while ago, and yes it got re-enabled in Mesa.

Valve won't share publicly what actually went wrong, but in the bug report it sounds like people tracked it down to having to do with resizable bar being enabled. It was just coincidence that happened around the same time that mesa enabled threading as well.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

Well more efficient use of the GPU and CPU will also allow for better battery runtime. Simply adding optimizations like this and then a fps limiter would make a game take less resources.
              Quite so, but in my experience, frequency governors are mostly really stupid, and so setting a voltage/frequency cap works better than setting an FPS limit and hoping the governor does the right thing. And it's those last few hundred MHz that really blow up the power.

Comment

Is this only for RadeonSI? It doesn't affect AMDGPU?

Comment

Originally posted by txtsd View Post
                  Is this only for RadeonSI? It doesn't affect AMDGPU?
                  radeonsi is a Mesa driver, amdgpu a kernel one, you can use both together.

Comment

Originally posted by BratishkaErik View Post
                    What a nice day to install Sodium
                    With AMDGPU, `mesa_glthread=true` causes minecraft running with Sodium to crash a few moments after entering a world.

Comment

Working...
                    X