Minecraft Now 30% Faster With Open-Source AMD Radeon Driver On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StandaSK View Post

Not sure if this is the entire list, but from the article: https://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/me...-defaults.conf and search for mesa_glthread
    Great, thanks. Looks like it's the complete list because I already see Minecraft in there.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

Wouldn't really describe Minetest as "Minecraft clone". Aside from core gameplay (procedurally generated voxel world with mining and building) they are not very similar. It's still worth to check Minetest anyway (even if you have Minecraft) not only because it's free and open source but also because there are many mods (yes, even mods that tries to make Minetest like Minecraft) that can add many things to game.
      I am not so familiar with Minecraft, so I don't know how it differs from Minetest, but it is a bit similar, especially the graphics. Minetest seems to have a significant players who speak Spanish or Russian I think maybe. It would be pretty cool if they generated a Minetest world from OpenStreetMap sources, or if they integrated blockchains, cryptocurrency or NFT, or if they integrated VR.

Comment

For those looking to make Minetest's gameplay as similar as possible to Minecraft, there's the MineClone2 subgame for Minetest.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          or if they integrated blockchains, cryptocurrency or NFT
          Burn it to the ground.

Comment

I don't know why they want to limit CS:GO in Linux.. if the functionality brings mode fps, its considered an improvement not cheating..

Comment

I'm also wondering why this is still a whitelist and not a blacklist. Does enabling threading break something or just eat a few percent performance in the worst case? mareko do you want to elaborate?

Comment

Originally posted by cewbdex View Post
                I think Valve will fix the issue with CS:GO, as they will want the most performance on the deck, hopefully this flag will be enabled in the future by default and have blacklist rather than whitelist.
                I don't think this is the case. Valve wants games to be playable on Steam Deck, but, because of battery concerns, "most performance" is probably not the main concern.

If it gets playable FPS they will just mark it as Steam Deck compatible, end of story.

Comment

Originally posted by mazumoto View Post
                  I'm also wondering why this is still a whitelist and not a blacklist. Does enabling threading break something or just eat a few percent performance in the worst case? mareko do you want to elaborate?
                  Some applications, such as the mentioned CS:GO, can have real issues with it. I read of some old OpenGL apps having crashes for assuming just one rendering thread.

Comment

Originally posted by jonix View Post

I don't think this is the case. Valve wants games to be playable on Steam Deck, but, because of battery concerns, "most performance" is probably not the main concern.

If it gets playable FPS they will just mark it as Steam Deck compatible, end of story.
                    Well more efficient use of the GPU and CPU will also allow for better battery runtime. Simply adding optimizations like this and then a fps limiter would make a game take less resources.

Comment

So will it work if i add "mesa_glthread=true" in the minecraft arguments (launch options)??? Im using tlauncher btw but i think it doesnt matter, what matters for me is to get glthread working for better performance on my radeon hd 6320m card for minecraft(opengl games). Thanks in advance!

Comment

Working...
                      X