Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon Software 21.40.1 Linux Driver Unifies ROCm, Uses New Driver Distribution Model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Software 21.40.1 Linux Driver Unifies ROCm, Uses New Driver Distribution Model

Phoronix: Radeon Software 21.40.1 Linux Driver Unifies ROCm, Uses New Driver Distribution Model

AMD this week quietly released Radeon Software for Linux 21.40.1 as a fundamentally big update for this packaged driver stack targeting enterprise Linux distributions...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Apparently they forgot to package support for Polaris in this one. Enjoy

Comment

Recently reinstalled my PC and because its the AUR version i am now on ROCm 4.5 but i have not been able to get the Pytorch docker working that they provide.
      Anyone else notice incompatibilities or is this some weird quirk in my setup?

Also not a fan that they no longer offer offline distribution for this, i'd love to have some working tested packages on disk and now i'd have to get those manually.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        AMD has removed Polaris support. LMAO

Comment

That early?! Just 5 years of support?!

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

That early?! Just 5 years of support?!
            Yeah someone might want to hurry on that OpenCL Mesa support, right? lol

Comment

Looks like we packaged about 99% of Polaris support and missed something. It's being investigated.

EDIT - hold on, that was in the ROCm stack (4.5). The AMDGPU-PRO stack uses PAL for OpenCL so should not be affected.
              Last edited by bridgman; 13 November 2021, 12:51 PM.
              Test signature

Comment

Typos:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                The Radeon Software for Linux 21.40.1 packaged driver release is their first that usess unified ROCm (Radeon Open eCosystem) and graphics drivers. This packaged driver has integrated/unified their compute stack with what is offered by ROCm compared to prior releases also having still shipped their legacy OpenCL/compute components. Moving forward it's all the ROCm-based approach for OpenCL/compute. However, machine learning users for now at least are encoutaged to use the upstream ROCm packages as the v21.40.1 point release hasn't been formally validated for that use-case yet.

Comment

On the other hand, it's interesting that the R9 series is still supported, while new Windows drivers only support Polaris and up. AFAIK, AMDVLK-open also dropped support for pre Polaris cards.

Comment

user1 about r9 390x gfx7 Hawaii cards support...

Is this actually recently confirmed by anyone since gfx7 is listed as supported on the github rocm page but already broken for the past 2 years?

Support for Hawaii (gfx700/1) has been broken since ROCm 2.0 (#691 and also #640) which was released 8 months ago. The original issue appeared to be with firmware files (which was fixed) but the la...

Comment

Working...
                    X