Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD GPU Driver Looks To Make Use Of Intel's New Buddy Allocator Code In The Linux Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD GPU Driver Looks To Make Use Of Intel's New Buddy Allocator Code In The Linux Kernel

Phoronix: AMD GPU Driver Looks To Make Use Of Intel's New Buddy Allocator Code In The Linux Kernel

Thanks to the nature of open-source, AMD engineers for the "AMDGPU" kernel graphics driver are looking to make use of Intel's new i915 buddy allocator code they introduced as part of all their video memory management changes as part of their discrete graphics bring-up...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...uddy-Allocator

Really cool to see this sort of thing happening. Long live open source. I just hope this won't mess up for the BSD people. As far as I remember, the AMD gpu kernel code is dual licensed to allow for reuse by *BSD. Not sure if the same is true for the Intel code.

Comment

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post
      Really cool to see this sort of thing happening. Long live open source. I just hope this won't mess up for the BSD people. As far as I remember, the AMD gpu kernel code is dual licensed to allow for reuse by *BSD. Not sure if the same is true for the Intel code.
      Generally, this could all have been prevented if AMDGPU/radeon was only GPL licensed.

Comment

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post
        I think the whole of the DRM subsystem is dual licenced

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

I think the whole of the DRM subsystem is dual licenced
          Actually no. A lot of GPL only stuff seems to keep sneaking in, and no one is really keeping an eye on it. I have no idea if you can even extract any useful MIT licensed whole out of the current mess anymore.

Comment

I'm not your buddy, guy!

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              I'm not your buddy, guy!
              AMD:

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                I'm not your buddy, guy!
                Man, listen kid...

Comment

That's the most wholesome thing I've on this website in a years.

Comment

This is the sort of thing Nvidia would point out as to why they hardly ever contribute to open-source, because they would deem this as helping the competition. Of course, the counter-argument is "you too get to benefit from the work they put it". So long as the hardware and features/capabilities is competitive (which for Nvidia, it is) then they shouldn't have to worry about such things.

Comment

Working...
                    X