Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cb88
    replied
    If anything Haiku too on too many half baked ideas with it's package management and pissed off a bunch of people ( some where inevitable some where because its just badly designed and a resource hog for no legit reason). And the end result is they basically turned Haiku into a rolling release distro... which would have been better served by a plain jane package manager like pacman.

3d acceleration is long overdue I hope they make good progress.

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    I don't see what Plan9 has to offer as it isn't really made for regular end users.
    Screw "regular end users". They are happier prodding a consumer tablet anyway

Plan 9 does have some nice ideas and Plan 9 Port partially caters for this.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by coder View Post
    If they were good ideas, have many not already been taken up by Linux & others?
    Not all of them. Although I'd opt for BeOS and AmigaOS features only. I don't see what Plan9 has to offer as it isn't really made for regular end users.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by topolinik View Post
    Nothing but a kernel panic during boot (bug report already filed).
    Same on my laptop. Booting Haiku from USB and retaining the files: not a single issue. Installing on real hardware? Kernel panic after installing and booting for the first time. And I'm using a ThinkPad with generic Intel hardware on which pretty much every OS works fine.

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
    I really wish there rather was a culture to add experimental OS ideas or features from abandoned projects (whatever that would be for BeOS or Plan9 ;-) ) to existing systems.
    If they were good ideas, have many not already been taken up by Linux & others?

Leave a comment:

• topolinik
    replied
    Originally posted by holunder View Post
    Nothing stops you from doing this already.
    Nothing but a kernel panic during boot (bug report already filed).
    Quite disappointing, as ten years ago my old pentium(r)Tsomething dual core (32 bit) was happy to run Haiku and I could surf the web and see movies and listen my music (even play ResidualVM!), but I'm not complaining to the devs, I can see progress into a VM, they just need time.

Leave a comment:

• holunder
    replied
    I'm eager to run Haiku on my real hardware booting aside of a linux distro.
    Nothing stops you from doing this already. Had a native install nearly ten years ago and was surprised how many peripherals worked just fine (network, audio, native resolution…). The system install setup is btw really nice. Graphics drivers are one of Haiku’s biggest challenges.

Leave a comment:

• Kemosabe
    replied
    Nice to see the guys are working hard to get 3d acceleration, that is still their biggest missing feature (not a stopping issue IMHO).
    Going to donate some money this month also.
    It's great to see progress and it's awesome that this project exists. However, I really wish there rather was a culture to add experimental OS ideas or features from abandoned projects (whatever that would be for BeOS or Plan9 ;-) ) to existing systems. Or to reformulate: Have a strong focus to get something production ready so there is an actual chance to gain traction and a user base. That would benefit the hibernating OS ecosystem more...

Leave a comment:

• topolinik
    replied
    Nice to see the guys are working hard to get 3d acceleration, that is still their biggest missing feature (not a stopping issue IMHO).
    Going to donate some money this month also.

Leave a comment:

• Early Progress Made On Porting Radeon Vulkan Driver To BeOS-Inspired Haiku OS

Phoronix: Early Progress Made On Porting Radeon Vulkan Driver To BeOS-Inspired Haiku OS

After successfully getting Mesa's software-based Lavapipe Vulkan implementation building on Haiku last month along with related Mesa code for headless support, a developer independent of AMD has started work on porting the Mesa Radeon Vulkan driver "RADV" to Haiku...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X