Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Merge Pending For Vulkan Ray-Tracing On Older AMD GPUs

Phoronix: Mesa Merge Pending For Vulkan Ray-Tracing On Older AMD GPUs

Merged yesterday for Mesa 21.3 was open-source Vulkan ray-tracing for AMD RDNA2 / RX 6000 series GPUs with the RADV driver. Opened today now is a merge request that would provide Vulkan ray-tracing with RADV to pre-RDNA2 GPUs on this driver going back to the likes of Polaris, granted the performance is another story...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael RADV_PERFTEST=force_emulate_rt enables the software RT path on hardware that supports the dedicated RT instructions. With Josh's PR you just need RADV_PERFTEST=rt to enable RT on old hardware, the same as on RDNA2.

Comment

There arent comparable GPUs available, but it would be interesting to see the performance difference.

In my head I expect the newer GPUs to be 10x faster due to hardware support.

Comment

My mental thoughts goes to:
        "If there is code for it, it is available for improving it"

Comment

Incredible news. I'm very grateful.

Really looking forward to playing Quake II RTX on my RX 480 Polaris card (the gift that keeps on giving). Open source for the win.

Comment

The article is probably harsher than it needs to be. Yeah it's software, that's what shaders are. It's not like they're asking the CPU to do it.

Overall I think people underestimate what can be a perfectly enjoyable experience. There are a lot of knobs to tune in the graphics settings of modern games and not all games are as demanding. There's probably lots of games out there that will run quite nicely with this raytracing support once it's tuned up, at a high frame rate and perhaps with few sacrifices.

Comment

A useless thing. Old video cards are weak for RT.

Comment

Does this work on non AMD GPUs, e.g Intel?

Comment

Intel works on Vulkan ray-tracing, but for Xe, i.e. newer chips. They use different drivers: ANV vs. RADV, so I don't think that this work has any support for older Intel GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
                    My mental thoughts goes to:
                    "If there is code for it, it is available for improving it"
                    Yep. The key question is not "is it as fast as a GPU with dedicated RT hardware ?" but "is it faster than the CPU ?".

Even if the answer is "no" at the moment it's still pretty neat to see this and will surely improve.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X