Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple Games Are Now Working With RADV's Ray-Tracing Code

Phoronix: Multiple Games Are Now Working With RADV's Ray-Tracing Code

Not only is Intel progressing with its open-source ray-tracing driver support but the Mesa Radeon Vulkan driver "RADV" has been rounding out its RT code too and now has multiple games correctly rendering...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hopefully he got paid for that - that sounds like a ton of work.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      After that improvements are still planned around pipeline ocmpilation BVH building, and traversal.

Comment

Hopefully this leads to a driver on par with the windows driver - but do the devs have enough info how to optimize the code to get the most out of the hardware? If yes, one could dream of a driver that works better than the windows one

Ah and getting a 6800 XT would also be a dream....

Comment

Wow, and they're all amazing games

What games?

I did try 5 games:
          1. Quake 2 RTX (Vulkan): works. This was working already on my previous update.
          2. Control (D3D): works. Pretty much just works. Runs at maybe 30-50% of RT performance on Windows.
          3. Metro Exodus (Vulkan): works. Needs one workaround and is very finicky in WSI but otherwise works fine. Runs at 20-25% of RT performance on Windows.
          4. Ghostrunner (D3D): Does not work. This really needs per shadergroup compilation instead of just mashing all the shaders together as I get shaders now with 1 million NIR instructions, which is a pain to debug.
          5. Doom Eternal (Vulkan): Does not work. The raytracing option in the menu stays grayed out and at this point I’m at a loss what is required to make the game allow enabling RT
          Really quick, can anyone confirm what the minimum required GPU is to use this? My RX480 via Vulkan cannot, is that correct? I need the new Navi cards?

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
            Really quick, can anyone confirm what the minimum required GPU is to use this? My RX480 via Vulkan cannot, is that correct? I need the new Navi cards?
            That's right, it cannot. For now, you'd need RDNA2 GPUs as only these have hardware ray accelerators. There is a parallel effort by Joshua Ashton to support raytracing using shaders which would theoretically allow any Vulkan-supporting, Mesa-powered GPU to work, even the Polaris that you and I have (in case the FPS values currently provided by these could bear a further beating by the RT).

Comment

Very good to know, recently changed over to Radeon 21.

GTX 1070 was doing really good at 1080p, very mature for the most part the last 5 years, then updated to 1440p, had to sink some money into AMD graphics that I have wanted for so long now, too many years of nvidia and wanted something different.

The RX 6800 XT Red Devil is so ridiculously massive, the thing looks like it could run an entire desktop PC. My GTX 1070 mini looks hilariously tiny. What did I get myself into?

For me some growing pains are there. Perhaps some extra digging and tweaking is due.

Freesync Premium Pro is operating at some version for sure on my setup.

I feel within a few months mesa and proton is likely to have things closer to perfect. Shadow Of The Tomb Raiders performance is off the charts insane.

I can see AMD's performance taking a 15% lead over the competitors RTX 3080 within a few years. I may be wrong but I have a feeling RDNA 2 is going to end up producing a lot more performance than people thought.

So far I am really liking Radeon a lot.

Update:

Well the RX 6800 XT Red Devil started freezing constantly, going to have to send it back. :-(

At first I thought it was just driver issues with Dishonored 2 the ocean surface had some weird shader glitching, and then with Resident Evil Village I noticed blinking textures and strange messed up textures on the merchants face.

Put back in my old GTX 1070, well my games don't run as fast now but since I am back to my old card Dishonored 2 is running way smoother strange enough, just not at higher fps.

Bummer. Well not sure what to think about getting another GPU now, I wonder if there are issues with manufacturing or something, cause PowerColor Red Devil's are over engineered, that is why I bought it and did it ever run cool too, what a head scratcher.

I am glad I am getting my money back though, sad the market is so bad now for GPU's. I don't know what I will get in the future. Right now I am thankful for my GTX 1070. I am not trying to be unfair to AMD but that made me a bit hesitant to buy another AMD GPU, maybe I will wait for a Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT when things get better if, I hope my 1070 last me until I find a proper upgrade for 1440p.

In all honesty I feel my own consumerism is a bit silly, but its so nice to have a really fast graphics card.
              Last edited by creative; 30 September 2021, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X