Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise 21.Q3 Released For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post

Sure but then they wouldn't have working pro drivers. What you should have said is AMD needs to join the 21st century.
    Yeah, I'm gonna add support for 5.8 to my kernel build script for Ubuntu. But I really *shouldn't* have to. It already supports the 5 versions it should support.

But still, I rather have a working 5.8 kernel if I ever need it (or whoever else needs it) then wait a year for AMD/Ubuntu 20.04 to get their act in order regarding this.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I see, but even so it seems Intel has a more serious open source commitment where everything is open source. Intel have no special proprietary driver for workstation stuff, they're open source all the way.
      Intel also has no workstation products.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

They also don't currently sell workstation cards.
        Intel Xe is on the way, its going to be everything from laptops, gaming, workstation to supercomputing. All open source. Raytracing too. oneAPI too.

Comment

Intel Xe is on the way, its going to be everything from laptops, gaming, workstation to supercomputing.
          Perhaps, but they haven't launched yet. It takes a long time to optimize a driver for workstation apps. Perhaps you've seen all the work we've been putting into mesa over the last few years?

Comment

With AMD you get open source drivers for the basics, but for things beyond that you have to resort to closed source, proprietary "enterprise" / "PRO" drivers. 👎
            Yeah, thats right, except for the fact that the AMD OSS driver has a big featureset, bigger than the closed source drivers. Except for OpenCL, but OpenCL is still kinda niche and as far as I can see... dying.

With Intel you get open source everything, all the way, the full stack! There is no closed source, proprietary "enterprise" or "pro" version, it's all open source! 👍
            Yeah, thats right, except for the fact that newer intel gpus also require closed source firmware ( see huc/guc...) to fully function. And intel not having any competitive workstation or beefy consumer GPU. And the drivers for older gpus also not being very well in shape.

Adding to that:
            I'm also skeptical if the discrete intel gpus will be worthwhile. Intel never got that right in past projects. Now they're delaying their new products to 2022. It also seems they will compete with Geforce 3070 GPUs at best and we might see AMD RDNA3 and Geforce 4000 that very same year...

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

Perhaps, but they haven't launched yet. It takes a long time to optimize a driver for workstation apps. Perhaps you've seen all the work we've been putting into mesa over the last few years?
              I expect Intel to quickly catch up, even their graphics card is matching with the GeForce RTX 3xxx series.

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

Yeah, thats right, except for the fact that the AMD OSS driver has a big featureset, bigger than the closed source drivers. Except for OpenCL, but OpenCL is still kinda niche and as far as I can see... dying.

Yeah, thats right, except for the fact that newer intel gpus also require closed source firmware ( see huc/guc...) to fully function. And intel not having any competitive workstation or beefy consumer GPU. And the drivers for older gpus also not being very well in shape.

Adding to that:
              I'm also skeptical if the discrete intel gpus will be worthwhile. Intel never got that right in past projects. Now they're delaying their new products to 2022. It also seems they will compete with Geforce 3070 GPUs at best and we might see AMD RDNA3 and Geforce 4000 that very same year...
              So AMD killed OpenCL by not providing an open source implementation which led to Nvidia being able to completely take over the whole market for that with CUDA.

Does Intel GPU need closed source firmware?
              Does AMD GPU have open source firmware or doesn't it need firmware?
              Is AMD more open in this context than Intel?

The new Intel Xe graphics cards seems like they will be very competitive. So their entry to market is enough to compete with 3070, the latest available, then that is very exciting to see what Intel have next.

Comment

With AMD you get open source drivers for the basics, but for things beyond that you have to resort to closed source, proprietary "enterprise" / "PRO" drivers. 👎
                It's definitely more than the basics. For what is left 98% of the user base does not care about.

With Intel you get open source everything, all the way, the full stack! There is no closed source, proprietary "enterprise" or "pro" version, it's all open source! 👍
                But their hardware sucks moose balls.

With NVIDIA you get closed everything. 👎

Comment

I expect Intel to quickly catch up, even their graphics card is matching with the GeForce RTX 3xxx series.
                  Why? All their past attempts have been big failures. I've been one of the poor guys to posess an intel i740 gpu back in the days. Jeez, that thing was crappy...

Also some of their leads in the current project failed heavily on previous attempts to engineer great allrounder gpus...

And intel drivers have been crappy since their inception, in Windows and Linux. Their 3D implementations never performed well. They're also not putting much effort in older generations of gpus...

So AMD killed OpenCL by not providing an open source implementation which led to Nvidia being able to completely take over the whole market for that with CUDA.
                  CUDA predates OpenCL. When OpenCL emerged it was already late in the game, and the spec ended being compromised and made msotly useless by multiple parties. AMD did find some clever answers to some bad problems, like mantle being a predecessor to our current vulkan glory, but they didn't suceed on that. And I think its unfair to put all the blame on AMD, it was multiple parties failing to deliver on that.

Does Intel GPU need closed source firmware?
                  Yes, they do. In the past you had firmwware in your bios, nowadays its loaded at runtime. And intel just seems to get more into the loading firmware at runtime game (again see for example huc/guc...), else you don't get all the functions. I strongly expect that limits to raise when their gpus get more complex like the upcoming Xe gpus.

You might argue that you don't need those to run, you're well without. Then I would argue well nvidia doesn't need firmware, too. Nouveau can do display stuff without!
                  And we all know nouveau doesn't cut it on any maxwell or newer nvidia gpu.

Does AMD GPU have open source firmware or doesn't it need firmware?
                  AMD does need firmware, like intel does.

Is AMD more open in this context than Intel?
                  No, they're the same.

The new Intel Xe graphics cards seems like they will be very competitive. So their entry to market is enough to compete with 3070, the latest available, then that is very exciting to see what Intel have next.
                  There is some hype, they're the new guys. Still, I expect intel to perform badly.

Comment

My hope is that enough optimizations are made to the open source stack that the Pro for enterprise can be put to bed and the whole user base will be unified on open source.

Mainly,

Because,

That might motivate AMD to want to finally give us a GUI since their corporate customers might and probably do expect it. After all, why do they get a control panel and we don't?
                    Last edited by ezst036; 15 September 2021, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
                      After all, why do they get a control panel and we don't?
                      Who is they and what control panel? To rehash well trodden ground, there is no standardized way at the moment to change display configurations with wayland compositors (unlike X). I realize there are some attempts to standardize this, but that has not happened yet. The level of functionality also varies from compositor to compositor. Additionally, every desktop environment stores the display configuration in a different way. What's wrong with the standard desktop control panels (outside of the lack of vendor branding)?

Comment

Working...
                      X