Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Batch Of RadeonSI Optimizations Land In Mesa 21.3

Phoronix: Another Batch Of RadeonSI Optimizations Land In Mesa 21.3

Another batch of minor optimizations were merged to Mesa 21.3 for the RadeonSI Gallium3D driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I thought performance numbers were required for these kind of merges

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
      The performance numbers are measured in Watts (lower is better).

Comment

Intel tends to require that, and it's usually done for core Mesa changes.

This is all in the radeonsi driver code, though, and individual drivers can have any policy they want. AMD just tends to commit things without a ton of documentation.

From the parent merge request:
        These are CPU overhead improvements motivated by viewperf/snx.
        so I suspect it probably won't show up as much of a difference for games.
        Last edited by smitty3268; 11 September 2021, 03:16 PM.

Comment

It's good to have performance numbers, but they are not required by mesa. Ultimately the driver maintainers decide what can get merged and what can't.

Some of the work is is about fixes, code cleanups and clarifying various bits of information. Even if you're doing perf work, not every change affects every use case, and not all of them can be easily measured or quantified.

Comment

- Eliminating the primitive discard compute shader since it doesn't always work, only relevant for GFX9/Vega and older, and is considered too complicated.
            I'm not opposed to changes that disable old broken things. However I really hope Vega continues to get some love. Mesa is getting more RDNA 1/2 patches, but AMD is still actively selling Ryzen 5000 mobile and desktop APUs with Vega compute units.

Comment

required by whom? by you? you are not maintainer. maintainer of radeonsi knows what to require from himself

Comment

Originally posted by nranger View Post
                I'm not opposed to changes that disable old broken things. However I really hope Vega continues to get some love. Mesa is getting more RDNA 1/2 patches, but AMD is still actively selling Ryzen 5000 mobile and desktop APUs with Vega compute units.
                The primitive discard CS is probably not something useful to you anyway, unless you were using one of the few workstation apps that benefit from it.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  required by whom? by you? you are not maintainer. maintainer of radeonsi knows what to require from himself
                  No not by me, by the project

Comment

No not by me, by the project
                    project consists of people. one of them wrote this code, what makes you think he doesn't know what he is doing?

Comment

Working...
                    X