The Big Batch Of New AMD RDNA2 PCI IDs Is Heading To Linux 5.15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post

This is much newer and may be of use to some one. I haven't tested it as I can't risk it on my machine. The theory is the same as ROCm is in theory supposed to work. It relies on the distro mesa and then just pulls in the final parts it needs. In any case the Resolve install forum is THE place if your tryiing to figure out how to get openCL working on Linux.

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/v...script#p758053

BMD looks at AMD the same way that Linus looks at NVidia.
    Cool, more info the better. How outdated is my post that you're aware of so I can update it.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

The Linux GPU stack is open source. It will continue to work as long as people are using and testing the hardware.
      That "testing the hardware" is possibly part of the problem. When I was using a 290 I had to skip an entire kernel version and then some because it wouldn't light up the display. As the card gets older I noticed regressions became more frequent, though I note GFX7 does still get mentioned in commit logs occasionally.

Luckily for me I'm now on a 6800 XT, quite stable on 5.13, and it'll last me for some years yet.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

Cool, more info the better. How outdated is my post that you're aware of so I can update it.
        That is a really complex question. There is no compatibility matrix for example that says use this software with this card because even that doesn't stay consistent. On top of that you need to look at the motherboard you are using and what CPU you are using. The disto you are using changes the equation as well. The whole thing is a flaming pile of ... . It seems like every one ends up rolling their own solution in the end. It's like getting Linux working in the early 80's.

Comment

That is a really complex question. There is no compatibility matrix for example that says use this software with this card because even that doesn't stay consistent. On top of that you need to look at the motherboard you are using and what CPU you are using. The disto you are using changes the equation as well. The whole thing is a flaming pile of ... . It seems like every one ends up rolling their own solution in the end. It's like getting Linux working in the early 80's.
          Hmmm. Early 80's, huh.

You just outed yourself as a time traveler.

Comment

Sounds very familiiar actually 🤣 ok thanks I'll check out the link tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
              Will there be a new naming scheme?

Mining-Bronze-100
              Mining-Bronze-200
              Mining-Silver-XXX ...

Or maybe just use the hash rate as the name, that will make it easier for the buyers.

hahaha, hashrate as a name, I love that 😂😂

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
                Someone commented asking how to get OpenCL support going and deleted it.

I went looking after I saw it and found it so I'll share it in case anyone is interested how to get OpenCL working with Polaris/RX480/Vega/etc. From 3 years ago but should still be able to still get you most of the way there.

See here: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...397#post996397

I have RX480 and am running Debian sid/bullseye. Any chance ROCm 4.3.1 may work on this system? Just a guess? Thanks.

Comment

The good news for me is that the only way I can get openCL working is to dual boot to Centos and run the AMDGPU-pro drivers that can't be updated with out re-installing the entire OS so they never ever get updated. It's like being the company with the server in the back of the server room loaded with Cobal code that they pray never dies.
                  I'm not sure how or where you got this idea, but this just isnt true. Linux isnt Windows, there is literally nothing that requires you to "reinstall the entire os" to upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by ping-wu View Post

I have RX480 and am running Debian sid/bullseye. Any chance ROCm 4.3.1 may work on this system? Just a guess? Thanks.
                    I just got it working on Ubuntu 20.04.3 with rocm 4.3.0

You can try the following, not sure if it will work on Debian but it's worth a shot:

1) Grab the Ubuntu 20.04 LTS driver here (v21.30 at the time of this post: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graph.../radeon-rx-480

2) tar xvf amdgpu-pro-21.30-1290604-ubuntu-20.04.tar.xz

3) cd amdgpu-pro-21.30-1290604-ubuntu-20.04amdgpu-pro-xxx

4) ./amdgpu-install --no-dkms --headless --opencl=legacy

5) After everything installs, you'll want to make sure your /etc/profile.d/rocm.sh file looks similar to this:
                    Code:
                    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/rocm-4.3.0/lib:/opt/rocm-4.0.0/lib:/opt/rocm/opencl/lib/x86_64:/opt/rocm/hsa/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
                    export PATH=$PATH:/opt/amdgpu-pro/bin:/opt/rocm/bin:/opt/rocm/profiler/bin:/opt/rocm/opencl/bin/x86_64:/opt/rocm-4.3.0/bin:/opt/rocm-4.0.0/bin:/opt/rocm-4.0.0/opencl/bin
                    6) Run: $ sudo ldconfig

7) Run: $ clinfo | head -n 10
                    7a) if it can't find clinfo, means your PATH is not correctly being read.
                    7b) you can ignore the four dlerror lines

Code:
                    ~ ☻ clinfo|head -n 10
                    dlerror: /opt/rocm-4.0.0/lib/../opencl/lib/libamdocl64.so: undefined symbol: amd_comgr_get_isa_metadata, version amd_comgr_1.8
                    dlerror: /opt/rocm-4.0.0/lib/../opencl/lib/libamdocl64.so: undefined symbol: amd_comgr_get_isa_metadata, version amd_comgr_1.8
                    Number of platforms: 1
                    Platform Profile: FULL_PROFILE
                    Platform Version: OpenCL 2.1 AMD-APP (3302.5)
                    Platform Name: AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
                    Platform Vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
                    Platform Extensions: cl_khr_icd cl_amd_event_callback cl_amd_offline_devices
                    Full output here: https://pastebin.com/ZGsfacGY

Comment

Originally posted by partcyborg View Post

I'm not sure how or where you got this idea, but this just isnt true. Linux isnt Windows, there is literally nothing that requires you to "reinstall the entire os" to upgrade.
                      If I upgrade AMDGPU-pro or the kernel the graphics card won't initialize to even a state where it can do VGA, becuase of that the computer won't boot to even rescue mode. Being able to run headless doesn't seem to be a thing any more. You can't unistall AMDGPU-pro ether as you get the exact same effect It won't try to launch off the distro drivers as the AMD junk borks some thing when you install and then doesn't clean it up when you uninstall.

Comment

Working...
                      X