Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Big Batch Of New AMD RDNA2 PCI IDs Is Heading To Linux 5.15

Phoronix: The Big Batch Of New AMD RDNA2 PCI IDs Is Heading To Linux 5.15

Last week I wrote about AMD adding 17 more RDNA2 PCI IDs to their Linux driver which is rather unusual given the amount and the number of PCI IDs already found in the AMDGPU kernel driver for these latest-generation GPUs and the Radeon RX 6000 series already being mid-life. As noted in that article and seemingly in agreement with the various other industry articles following that Phoronix news, it seems to be for some sort of RDNA2 refresh likely. Now those new PCI IDs are being queued up for introduction in the current Linux 5.15 cycle...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...For-Linux-5.15

I really hope that one or two of the seventeen will fix the issue of needing to take out a mortgage to afford a GPU.

Comment

6000-series Ryzen will probably have RDNA2 so there are likely some of those too.

Comment

Will there be a new naming scheme?

Mining-Bronze-100
        Mining-Bronze-200
        Mining-Silver-XXX ...

Or maybe just use the hash rate as the name, that will make it easier for the buyers.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          I really hope that one or two of the seventeen will fix the issue of needing to take out a mortgage to afford a GPU.
          I'm so happy with the state of Polaris on Linux right now that you may need to pay me to upgrade my RX480. No hyperbole.

I know what stability means to me. Can't put a price tag on that. I guess that's kind of a slight to AMD's support on Linux, but it is what it is. They don't even care to budget $500 to give Michael some review samples. Larabel is technically on their payroll, just not getting paid. Do better AMD, please.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
            I'm so happy with the state of Polaris on Linux right now that you may need to pay me to upgrade my RX480. No hyperbole.
            I know how you feel. I have my RX580 in a place where it never crashes or does weird things so I can get work done. I have to boot to 2 different distros to do that and I can't ever patch one of them. I do have a desperate need for a beefier video card but I need openCL and Vega doesn't have it and ROCm doesn't have image support for the RDNA2 cards which I need. So there is really no upgrade path for me with AMD. Right now I am just praying that nothing happens to my RX580. The down side is AMD will be OELing Polaris next.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post

I know how you feel. I have my RX580 in a place where it never crashes or does weird things so I can get work done. I have to boot to 2 different distros to do that and I can't ever patch one of them. I do have a desperate need for a beefier video card but I need openCL and Vega doesn't have it and ROCm doesn't have image support for the RDNA2 cards which I need. So there is really no upgrade path for me with AMD. Right now I am just praying that nothing happens to my RX580. The down side is AMD will be OELing Polaris next.
              Couldn't agree more with your post. Is that last part true?

bridgman I can't imagine you guys sunset Polaris or make it End Of Life *anytime* soon. At least until 2025. Can you confirm/clarify if you know what the state of Polaris will be going forward to the best of your knowledge.

I really love this damn card. It's not *that* old. Got it in 2017. Only four years ago. Very new and good tech still.

Comment

bridgman I can't imagine you guys sunset Polaris or make it End Of Life *anytime* soon. At least until 2025. Can you confirm/clarify if you know what the state of Polaris will be going forward to the best of your knowledge.
                The Linux GPU stack is open source. It will continue to work as long as people are using and testing the hardware.

Comment

Couldn't agree more with your post. Is that last part true?

I really love this damn card. It's not *that* old. Got it in 2017. Only four years ago. Very new and good tech still.
                  I think the poster just meant that Polaris would be next on the chopping block. AMD just moved the pre Polaris stuff to legacy status in June of this year. So I imagine it will be a while before Polaris meets the same fate. And it matters less to most Linux users since they are probably using the mainline Radeon or AMDGPU drivers.

https://community.amd.com/t5/blogs/p...-6/ba-p/477423

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

The Linux GPU stack is open source. It will continue to work as long as people are using and testing the hardware.
                    Exactly what I wanted to hear, thanks.

One of the beautiful (positive) side effects of open source software.

You hear that nvidia? Pay attention. Your greediness and shortsightedness is costing you in more ways than one.

Comment

Working...
                    X