Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Adds 17 More PCI IDs For RDNA2 GPUs To Their Linux Driver

Phoronix: AMD Adds 17 More PCI IDs For RDNA2 GPUs To Their Linux Driver

On top of all the PCI IDs in place already for the AMDGPU Linux kernel graphics driver, another 17 PCI IDs were added in a new patch for this open-source Radeon graphics driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Perhaps not a refresh but maybe Pro variants?

Comment

Another possibility is they will make the RDNA2 cards the new low end in place of Polaris, and the rumored chiplet GPUs will be the high end.

Comment

I don't remember where I've read about that but I was already expecting RDNA2 as entry- to mid-level products alongside RDNA3, and it makes a lot of sense. RDNA2 is currently miles ahead of any other products in market in terms of efficiency, so there's really no reason to retire them. The new chiplet products will be much bigger and unlikely to reach the same energy efficiency, so RDNA2 is expected to remain the technology leader in it's segments.

I think RDNA2 was a unexpectedly big step forward for AMD and I'm planning my next (notebook) upgrade to that line of products, either the original or the refresh.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
          Another possibility is they will make the RDNA2 cards the new low end in place of Polaris, and the rumored chiplet GPUs will be the high end.
          RDNA2 refresh on 6nm, RDNA3 both with or without chiplets on 5nm. More GPUs to sell, hopefully.

Comment

Originally posted by jntesteves View Post
            I don't remember where I've read about that but I was already expecting RDNA2 as entry- to mid-level products alongside RDNA3, and it makes a lot of sense. RDNA2 is currently miles ahead of any other products in market in terms of efficiency, so there's really no reason to retire them. The new chiplet products will be much bigger and unlikely to reach the same energy efficiency, so RDNA2 is expected to remain the technology leader in it's segments.

I think RDNA2 was a unexpectedly big step forward for AMD and I'm planning my next (notebook) upgrade to that line of products, either the original or the refresh.
            Plus they use RDNA2 in a lot of their current consumer lines like game consoles and automotive as well as industrial lines like SOCs which means they'll be making and refining RDNA2 over the next 5-10 years. Definitely makes no sense to retire it when looked at from that perspective, too.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Plus they use RDNA2 in a lot of their current consumer lines like game consoles and automotive as well as industrial lines like SOCs which means they'll be making and refining RDNA2 over the next 5-10 years. Definitely makes no sense to retire it when looked at from that perspective, too.
              Yeah, I wasn't even thinking about all the ramifications of RDNA2. Next Exynos chips by Samsung will use it too. Hopefully this translates into longterm driver improvements. Looks to me like be best line of GPU products to buy right now.

Comment

This announcement and the Ubuntu 22.04 timeline announcement landed nearly simultaneously.

The coming 6000-series APUs will step up to RDNA2, so that will be some of them.

Put those two things together and it makes sense. AMD needs to get those PCI-IDs into the kernel so that there's a chance of those kernels being in the 1H 2022 Linux OS releases. Then there's a chance that users won't get black screens from the Ubuntu 22.04 installer the way they are from the 21.04 installer with 5600G/5700G today.
                Last edited by linuxgeex; 27 August 2021, 04:36 PM.

Comment

It's still weird there is no non-XT 6700 version.

Comment

"Sienna Chichlid"

"Dimgrey Cavefish"

I really wish AMD would go back after the products have been officially announced, and replace these opaque code names with the marketing names of the chips. Or at least commit an officially blessed decoder ring to the kernel source tree. It's a bear of a time trying to figure out which parts of /drivers/gpu/drm/amd actually pertain to my video card.

Comment

Working...
                    X