AMD Adds 17 More PCI IDs For RDNA2 GPUs To Their Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flashmozzg View Post
    It's still weird there is no non-XT 6700 version.
    They are probably getting great yields on the smaller die, and they'll make more profit selling a 6700 XT than a non-XT. And everything they put on the market will sell nearly instantly at this time. Suddenly, it's not so weird.

Comment

Originally posted by yump View Post
      I really wish AMD would go back after the products have been officially announced, and replace these opaque code names with the marketing names of the chips. Or at least commit an officially blessed decoder ring to the kernel source tree. It's a bear of a time trying to figure out which parts of /drivers/gpu/drm/amd actually pertain to my video card.
      Agreed. I had assumed we would do that as well, but agd5f pointed out that changing the names after up-streaming was a much bigger and riskier effort than I had anticipated because of the impact on stable kernel branches - changes made for the tip of the kernel tree (with new names) are expected to cleanly apply on "stable" source trees with old names. The same applies for all the distro per-release branches

I still have a nagging feeling that there should be a practical approach to handle that but it's certainly more complicated than I first expected. There are probably other cases where a change targeting the tips of the kernel tree requires modification in order to apply on stable, but I *think* the current kernel processes make the stable maintainer responsible for that modification...

... and there seems to be general consensus that annoying the stable maintainer (is it still GregKH ?) would a really bad idea

Agree that an official decoder ring would be a good start.
      Last edited by bridgman; 28 August 2021, 01:45 PM.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Agreed. I had assumed we would do that as well, but agd5f pointed out that changing the names after up-streaming was a much bigger and riskier effort than I had anticipated because of the impact on stable kernel branches - changes made for the tip of the kernel tree (with new names) are expected to cleanly apply on "stable" source trees with old names. The same applies for all the distro per-release branches

I still have a nagging feeling that there should be a practical approach to handle that but it's certainly more complicated than I first expected. There are probably other cases where a change targeting the tips of the kernel tree requires modification in order to apply on stable, but I *think* the current kernel processes make the stable maintainer responsible for that modification...

... and there seems to be general consensus that annoying the stable maintainer (is it still GregKH ?) would a really bad idea

Agree that an official decoder ring would be a good start.

Comment

Working...
        X