X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• royce
    replied
    Originally posted by pipe13 View Post

Sure it would be nice. OTOH, is anyone -- any one at all -- currently on 20.04 LTS really going to "upgrade" to 21.10, rather than wait another 6 months for 22.04 LTS?
    Not many people I would imagine. I can only speak to myself, and the boxes I do have on 20.04 are on LTS for a reason, and won't be upgraded until the next LTS.

Leave a comment:

• Gryffus
    replied
    "with the Wayland session still the default" i guess this should be "with the Wayland session being the default again"?

Leave a comment:

• Linuxxx
    replied
    Originally posted by WonkoTheSaneUK View Post
    Hi Michael,

Kernel 5.14 is almost certainly going to make it in, as Ubuntu's "kernel freeze" milepost isn't due until Sept 30th.
    Mesa 21.2 might need an exception though, as we're a week past "feature freeze" (August 19th) already.
    Updating Mesa post-release isn't a major problem for the average user thanks to the excellent PPA maintained by Valve.

However, when it comes to the Linux kernel, this is a completely different story.

That is why it is pivotal for Canonical to make sure that both AMD's & Intel's upcoming 2022 products make it in usable form into the next LTS kernel which will become the basis for Ubuntu 22.04 LTS!

More than likely this means having to backport upstream patches close to the release window, therefore I think it would be wise if You could make sure this important aspect is handled smoothly by communicating with both parties beforehand.

Here's hoping to an awesome Ubuntu 22.04 LTS release!

Me and many others are looking forward to it, so please make it count!

Leave a comment:

• WonkoTheSaneUK
    replied
    Hopefully still as feature freeze exceptions we'll see use of the Linux 5.14 kernel and Mesa 21.2. Those are two upgrades I certainly hope will make it into this release.
    Hi Michael,

Kernel 5.14 is almost certainly going to make it in, as Ubuntu's "kernel freeze" milepost isn't due until Sept 30th.
    Mesa 21.2 might need an exception though, as we're a week past "feature freeze" (August 19th) already.
    Last edited by WonkoTheSaneUK; 25 August 2021, 07:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• amxfonseca
    replied
    Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Does GRUB support other non-free filesystems?
    GRUB2 supports non-free filesystems like HFS+ and NTFS.

But the user was asking for ZFS support. A free open-source filesystem. So I don’t really understand your answer, and how’s that related at all.

Leave a comment:

• Danny3
    replied
    Too bad that there are no other significant improvements besides performance.
    Something like IWD for wireless, or OpenSnitch for firewall, or SysMonTask for system monitor would've been very nice.

Leave a comment:

• Alexmitter
    replied
    Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
    we only need one performance improvement:
    Grub able to boot into a zfs snapshot for easier rollbacks
    Does GRUB support other non-free filesystems?

Leave a comment:

• horizonbrave
    replied
    we only need one performance improvement:
    Grub able to boot into a zfs snapshot for easier rollbacks

Leave a comment:

• zerodefect
    replied
    Originally posted by pipe13 View Post

Sure it would be nice. OTOH, is anyone -- any one at all -- currently on 20.04 LTS really going to "upgrade" to 21.10, rather than wait another 6 months for 22.04 LTS?
    Probably, right. OTOH, one could argue that without an LTS the benchmarks aren't meaningful because there is nothing substantial to compare against.

FWIW, I was asking so I could see if things were going in the right direction come 22.04.

Leave a comment:

• pipe13
    replied
    Originally posted by zerodefect View Post
    Hi Michael, thanks for your efforts. It would have been nice to throw an LTS release into the equation (v20.04?).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X