Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Launches The Infinity Hub As Its Newest Open-Source Portal

Phoronix: AMD Launches The Infinity Hub As Its Newest Open-Source Portal

AMD has launched the Infinity Hub as their newest "open-source portal"...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...D-Infinity-Hub

Why don't they use GitHub or GitLab?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      Why don't they use GitHub or GitLab?
      There is conditions to be on AMD open-source portals, obviously AMD specific.

Comment

I don't know, AMD is a bit too adamant branding everything "Infinity" so close to the conclusion of Avengers. Clearly some ulterior motives are in play :P

Comment

AFAIK this is a collection of containers built from open source software - I think of containers as binary rather than source...

... and that's why we are not using GitHub/GitLab or similar.
          Last edited by bridgman; 20 August 2021, 12:47 PM.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            I don't know, AMD is a bit too adamant branding everything "Infinity" so close to the conclusion of Avengers. Clearly some ulterior motives are in play :P
            The overhead of global trademark review/approval is probably a big factor.

I suspect we have projects where the design/implementation/test effort was less than the naming effort.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              I don't remember us saying anything about this being "open source" oriented - it's a collection of containers which I think of as binary rather than source.

AFAIK that's why we aren't using GitHub/GitLab or similar.
              The email I received from Edelmann this morning about it was titled "AMD Infinity Hub: All-in-one portal for HPC open-source software" And further noted it being for open-source software in the email body. Let me know if I should forward you over the email if there is some confusion somewhere along the route.
              Michael Larabel
              http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I hope this idea works out, ROCm is in theory capable to do a lot of things, but currently it is very complicated to make them work.

Comment

AMD still needs to work on the "hassle-free" side of things to get ROCm going. Docker might be a means for HPC users, but we end-users are still confronted with a mess when it comes to installing and using ROCm (on supported consumer hardware such as my Vega 56).

Comment

Working...
                  X