No announcement yet.

AMD RDNA2 Vulkan: RADV vs. RADV+NGGC vs. AMDVLK vs. PRO Driver Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I find interesting is how AMDVLK outperforms PRO so well when PRO has the AMD's proprietary shader compiler. With the exception of GravityMark 1.2 AMDVLK matches or beats PRO's performance in every test!

Has anyone from AMD ever mentioned if the long term goal is switch to using the open-source AMDGPU LLVM shader compiler for all Vulkan drivers, or would that not be feasible on other platforms?

Comment

Originally posted by avem View Post

In other words it's not "community" in any shape or form which means the whole idea of community driven GPU development is more likely a myth.
      Imagine if we discovered that most of the kernel developers worked at Subway.

Comment

Originally posted by cytomax55 View Post
        So radv is equal if not a bit better than amdvlk...
        why are they still making 2 drivers and dividing their work?
        I asked that way back when RADV was first introduced (albeit back then, there was no open-source option available, yet). People get pretty irritated when you ask such questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Herem View Post
          What I find interesting is how AMDVLK outperforms PRO so well when PRO has the AMD's proprietary shader compiler. With the exception of GravityMark 1.2 AMDVLK matches or beats PRO's performance in every test!

Has anyone from AMD ever mentioned if the long term goal is switch to using the open-source AMDGPU LLVM shader compiler for all Vulkan drivers, or would that not be feasible on other platforms?
          AMDVLK-open outperforming pro is probably due to AMDVLK-open receiving exclusive optimizations for Linux games (as mentioned in the changelog of the releases), while pro is not, since it's essentially the Windows Vulkan driver. AFAIR, at least most of the games Michael tested have received exclusive optimizations.

in 2018 they mentioned their long term plan to eventually phase out the proprietary compiler and switch to LLVM on all Windows drivers as well, but I don't see that happening anytime soon because the compile time performance of LLVM is still far behind the proprietary shader compiler (from my own tests, the proprietary compiler performance seems to be much closer to ACO than to LLVM).

Comment

Originally posted by Herem View Post

The long term goal is to use LLVM for everything.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

The long term goal is to use LLVM for everything.
              What about compile times though?

Comment

In other words it's not "community" in any shape or form which means the whole idea of community driven GPU development is more likely a myth.
                Community in open source development usually does not mean people working in spare time, but people outside of original developer.

Comment

Is there a phoronix option to generate gpu bench data with .CSVs with https://github.com/flightlessmango/MangoHud
                  then you could do line graphs for gpu_temp/core load/gpu_power/frame_time/fps ?

MangoHud FPS logging
                  You must set a valid path for output_folder in your configuration to store logs in.
                  When you toggle logging (using the keybind Shift_L+F2), a file is created with the game name plus a date & timestamp in your output_folder.

// Log files can be uploaded to Flightlessmango.com to create graphs automatically.
                  // You can share the created page with others, just link it.
                  Multiple log files
                  // It's possible to upload multiple files when using Flightlessmango.com. You can rename them to your preferred names and upload them in a batch. These filenames will be used as the legend in the graph.

Comment

Hello,
                    Today I received my RX 6600 XT and I see some problems with video output during desktop environment start (I have to wait 10+ seconds until my monitor is able to detect video signal). With RX 580 I didn't notice similar issues. I use Ubuntu 21.04 + linux-firmware from git, mesa 21.2 from Kisak PPA + kernel 5.14rc6/5.13.11 from Ubuntu PPA. Someone noticed similar issues?
                    Cheers,

Comment

Community as in the larger group of stakeholders in a piece of open source effort. Do they even accept patches into AMDVLK? From what I've read AMDVLK seems kind of toss-over-the-wall open source where it is open but they're not too interested in 3rd party work or cooperating with 3rd party interests.

Comment

Working...
                      X