Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT Linux Gaming Performance

Phoronix: AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT Linux Gaming Performance

The Radeon RX 6600 XT was announced at the end of July as AMD's newest RDNA2 graphics card and is optimized for a performant 1080p gaming experience. For those wondering about its performance, this morning the embargo lifts to be able to talk about its performance. Here are the first Linux gaming benchmarks of the Radeon RX 6600 XT against a wide assortment of other AMD Radeon and NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Those are some nice results. The 6600XT was 12% faster than the 3060, while using 20% less power. How things have changed.

Now some people will only look at the MSRP, because AMD decided they wanted some of that fat profit margin distributors and resellers are enjoying. How much that will reflect the real street price in the next months is what have to be seem.

Comment

Birdie will cry a river regarding bad 6600XT value.

Comment

phantom gaming indeed

Comment

I'll buy one if I can get it with a reasonable price.

Comment

Originally posted by drakonas777 View Post
            Birdie will cry a river regarding bad 6600XT value.
            Well, it is bad value. The pricing is insane.

Scarcity of GPUs makes comparing to anything else useless, but $380 MSRP (which is already $550+ at retail) for a 1080p card in 2021 is... just no.

Comment

novideo: overhyped brand of resistance heaters

Comment

Looks like a nice 2K FreeSync Pro GPU. If I wasn't about to invest in some flight sim hardware...just debating on what to begin with.

That looks like it would pair nicely with one of those 2K Ultrawide FreeSync Pro monitors that I damn near pulled the trigger on one last week...just happy enough with 1080p med/high upscaled to 4K on my TV with my 580 and the fact that I really do want to start a decent sim setup.

I'm thinking about getting either a Gladiator NXT Premium Stick and a MFG Crosswind v3 Rudder or a WinWing Orion F18 HOTAS to get into X Plane, up my game in KSP/KSP 2, and to try to get into Elite Dangerous (got it for free but didn't like KB/M controls so I quit playing it). Add in an "or a Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo" for good measure because damn that's sweet. Basically, I have a $600 starting budget and those are the three things I'm debating between getting for my initial purchase. While all have their Pros and Cons in regards to space and terrestrial flight, ease of use, etc, I'm leaning more towards the NXT Stick (right hand) and MFG Rudder than I am the others since the NTX has a good enough throttle that I can Jerry Rig with my keyboard numpad until I get a proper throttle setup and I really want a rudder. Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Well, it is bad value. The pricing is insane.

Scarcity of GPUs makes comparing to anything else useless, but $380 MSRP (which is already $550+ at retail) for a 1080p card in 2021 is... just no.
                  I know. Just as "pro value guy" birdie somehow forgets to call out bad value (relative to MSRP) for 11900K, 3080Ti etc., though AMD triggers him almost every time. Anyway...

Considering x8 interface and cache size it's almost obvious that NAVI23 originally was planned for 6500XT, but AMD bumped the tier due market conditions. So basically Intel is the only hope for cost effective GPU now in 2022 Q1 or so. Irony...
                  Last edited by drakonas777; 10 August 2021, 11:59 AM.

Comment

A nice card for raster only games albeit with a quite unreasonable price tag.

If you need good RTRT performance, AI features (including DLSS) or a decent HW video encoder, maybe you'll need to look elsewhere.

Last edited by birdie; 10 August 2021, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X