RADV Lands Fast Clear Improvements, Helping RDNA With VKD3D-Proton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RADV Lands Fast Clear Improvements, Helping RDNA With VKD3D-Proton

Phoronix: RADV Lands Fast Clear Improvements, Helping RDNA With VKD3D-Proton

Samuel Pitoiset of Valve's Linux graphics driver team has been working on a number of improvements in recent days to the RADV Vulkan driver's handling around delta color compression (DCC) fast clears...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...r-Improvements

Nice. Don't suppose we could get a quick comparison of the current point release and Mesa-git, on something with a dx12 renderer, and one with a vulkan renderer? One rdna and rdna2 card would be enough for a quick comparison.

Comment

I wonder of this patch was in use when Valve haad a bunch of media com to their HQ and try early Steam Deck units. And if not, how much difference it makes. Doom Eternal is in a lot of the marketing material so anything that boosts its performance more is a win for Valve and gamers.

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post
        I wonder of this patch was in use when Valve haad a bunch of media com to their HQ and try early Steam Deck units. And if not, how much difference it makes. Doom Eternal is in a lot of the marketing material so anything that boosts its performance more is a win for Valve and gamers.
        That is a good question, since some stutter here & there could be noticed during gameplay.

Also, loading times were noted as being "kinda long"; hopefully Valve will actually make use of the BFQ I/O-scheduler that Linux offers on their device, because that is known to cut down on start-up times considerably, especially so when background tasks are competing for I/O attention, too.

Comment

Working...
        X