R7xx Kernel Mode Setting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R7xx Kernel Mode Setting

What is the status of KMS in the open source ATI drivers?

Work in Progress, apparently.

Comment

much in progress

Comment

From what I understand, KMS is basically working, but it still needs debugging, stabilizing, cleanup, and testing and integration with other new work going on in the stack before it's pushed out.

The devs have said (I believe) that *hopefully* the KMS code with make it into the 2.6.31 or 2.6.32 merge, with the latter being more probable. I believe the time is soon approaching when the devs will need lots of people to test the code to weed out bugs, so keep your ears open.

Comment

It's hard to give a simple answer because KMS is built on top of memory management; KMS seems to be pretty far along but it won't get out into general distribution until the underlying memory management is also solid *and* all of the other bits in the system have been updated to work with memory management.

Those last two tasks (finalizing memory management (including newttm work), and getting all of the other bits working over memory management (eg radeon-rewrite) seem to be the main focus right now.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by TechMage89 View Post
            From what I understand, KMS is basically working, but it still needs debugging, stabilizing, cleanup, and testing and integration with other new work going on in the stack before it's pushed out.
            Yeah, afaik with KMS forced on currently for new cards (on a Rawhide kernel that has the KMS code), acceleration doesn't work. Lack of EXA and Xv probably counts as much of the "other new work".

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              (including newttm work)
              Does this mean that nouveau and radeon drivers will use a modified GEM + the ttm-gem wrapper or that a new TTM version will get into the kernel?

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                Yeah, afaik with KMS forced on currently for new cards (on a Rawhide kernel that has the KMS code), acceleration doesn't work. Lack of EXA and Xv probably counts as much of the "other new work".
                Out of curiosity, how do you force on KMS? I only see docs talking about how to force it off.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
                  Out of curiosity, how do you force on KMS? I only see docs talking about how to force it off.
                  Note: Do not do this unless you know how to enter Grub menu in boot sequence and edit the kernel lines there since it can make your kernel unbootable at worst. Better yet, don't ever store it in the actual file but only set it by entering the menu during boot sequence.
                  ----
                  radeon.modeset is the variable that controls it. It accepts values 1 (always on) and 0 (always off). It's currently only defaulted on for cards for which it is even somewhat usable.

Comment

Working...
                  X