No announcement yet.

Hands On With The AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While the new GPU sounds interesting, I'm more curious to see if the performance difference between 6700XT and 6800 in Michael's benchmark will still be zero. It has been for the last 3 or 4 benchmarks he's posted I think, and I don't know why it isn't more acknowledged or investigated, aside from a few comments here.

If it's actually a driver error or something, it might be quite noticeable.

Comment

Can we stop discussing Linux printed on the box? I've seen it for years now.

Here, a card from 2018:

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
        500W or greater PSU? Is AMD ever going to make a low-power, discrete GPU again? That would be nice...
        It's some of what @M@GOid and birdie said plus more. TBP is a bit of a misleading number. And it doesn't mean what a lot of people think it does. For AMD it stands for Typical Board Power, not Total Board Power (and it's arguable if Total Board Power even means "total" as the public would understand it). A board or *PU can be rated at 160W but still pull more under heavy sustained load. It doesn't have to be overclocked, either. Cheap generic PSUs often don't live up to their labeling. AMD also doesn't know what the rest of your system looks like as far as power draw is concerned.

Comment

Does it really need 3 fans or are they just flexing? If it does VGA then it is "supported on Linux" It is the advanced features like RT, hardware encode/decode and openCL where AMD falls down.

As a side note I saw a YT clip where some one was showing that at least in the Steam survey NVidia has a higher share of 3090s than all of AMDs 6000 series combined. I'm not entirely sure what to make of that. Could it be true? If so why is it true?

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Nice to see not only Linux support printed in the box, but it be in alphabetical order, not put dead last like a leper you pretend that didn't exist.
            That is amazing!

Now I would like to see Vulkan written before DirectX 12, but then it wouldn't be in alphabetical order...

Edit: Not only that, but am I seeing Xolonium font in the box? That is the font created for the open-source shooter Xonotic!
            Last edited by tildearrow; 07 August 2021, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Oh yeah typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: Hands On With The AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT

After the AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT was announced last week and ahead of the retail availability next week, today AMD's "unboxing embargo" has expired for this new RDN2 graphics card focused on delivering high 1080p frame rates. The card we have been testing out under Linux is the ASRock Phantom Gaming RX 6600 XT.

https://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=30425

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                Can we stop discussing Linux printed on the box? I've seen it for years now.

Here, a card from 2018:
                Oh look, Nvidia puts Linux dead last, like a leper they pretend doesn't exist. Thanks to point it out Birdie. People in this forum usually don't like you, but this shows you are indeed a nice guy.

Comment

You all missed the point of my post, so I'll be more clear. Where is the Radeon RX6400 with 75W TBP? Or even better, an RX6200 with 35-50W TBP?

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
                    Does it really need 3 fans or are they just flexing?
                    There is the concept that "bigger is better". Just like RGB, if 3 fans help to sell the card, you bet they will put them there. This can get so ridiculous, that I have seen a entry level model that is usually sold fanless and half height, with a huge cover and 2 big fans like a high end model. You know, with those glass side panels, you don't want to get caught using a minuscule GPU, right?

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                      You all missed the point of my post, so I'll be more clear. Where is the Radeon RX6400 with 75W TBP? Or even better, an RX6200 with 35-50W TBP?
                      Not while they are paying premium for 7/8nm fabrication nodes. With reduced availability, the preference goes for high margin models. You can expect both AMD and Nvidia selling old generation GPUs as entry level, until Intel decides to rock the boat with their discrete cards.

Comment

Working...
                      X