X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luzipher
    replied
    Originally posted by CaptainLugnuts View Post

AMD is never going to make a card like that ever again because they're pointless.
    If all you need is a low-end GPU, their integrated GPUs have that covered.
    Uhm ... you sure realize that there are quite a few processors without integrated GPUs, right? Mostly from AMD (integrated graphics are even scarce here), but even intel has some of those again.
    I'd really like a extremely low-powered GPU for my home server (currently running on an unaccelerated AST2500 VGA adapter included in the BMC) - just to use a graphical desktop and browser.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by user1 View Post

Actually, that's not corrrect. The low 75W> TDP cards can actually be way more powerful than iGPU's. For example, a long time ago I had the 2012 Radeon HD 7750, which is around 60-70W TDP, and it could easily run many triple A games of that time at high settings, which is way beyond what iGPU's could achieve at least then. I think there is now reason Nvidia / AMD can't make a 75W> card today that is way better than an iGPU. It's simply because both companies completely neglected midrange / entry level markets. I mean after 4+ years there is still no worthy successor to the midrange RX 580 / GTX 1060.
    You'll see low-margin cards when there is available manufacturing capacity.

It makes zero sense for AMD to sell a gpu they can make $1 off of when they can instead sell a higher end one and make $100.

I'm assuming you don't count the 5500xt as a "worthy" successor to the 580/1060, but that was AMD's last attempt at one. I'm guessing we won't see one based around RDNA2 until after RDNA3 is released.
    Last edited by smitty3268; 06 August 2021, 05:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• user1
    replied
    Originally posted by CaptainLugnuts View Post

AMD is never going to make a card like that ever again because they're pointless.
    Actually, that's not corrrect. The low 75W> TDP cards can actually be way more powerful than iGPU's. For example, a long time ago I had the 2012 Radeon HD 7750, which is around 60-70W TDP, and it could easily run many triple A games of that time at high settings, which is way beyond what iGPU's could achieve at least then. I think there is no reason Nvidia / AMD can't make a 75W> card today that is way better than an iGPU. It's simply because both companies completely neglected midrange / entry level markets. I mean after 4+ years there is still no worthy successor to the midrange RX 580 / GTX 1060.
    Last edited by user1; 06 August 2021, 05:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CaptainLugnuts
    replied
    Originally posted by DanL View Post
    You all missed the point of my post, so I'll be more clear. Where is the Radeon RX6400 with 75W TBP? Or even better, an RX6200 with 35-50W TBP?

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by [email protected] View Post

Oh look, Nvidia puts Linux dead last, like a leper they pretend doesn't exist. Thanks to point it out Birdie. People in this forum usually don't like you, but this shows you are indeed a nice guy.
    Please ignore birdie... He is just frustrated about the 26 likes he didn't get.

Leave a comment:

• Teggs
    replied
    Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
    Does it really need 3 fans or are they just flexing?
    Devil's Advocate says the more fans you use, the smaller heat sink you can get away with. But I expect it's just because of the 'Phantom Gaming' branding. Have to make the customer think they're getting something for that extra money. Even a 3090 can be properly cooled with two fans, and the AMD reference design for the 6600XT only has one, so you can draw conclusions.

Leave a comment:

• M@GOid
    replied
    Originally posted by DanL View Post
    You all missed the point of my post, so I'll be more clear. Where is the Radeon RX6400 with 75W TBP? Or even better, an RX6200 with 35-50W TBP?
    Not while they are paying premium for 7/8nm fabrication nodes. With reduced availability, the preference goes for high margin models. You can expect both AMD and Nvidia selling old generation GPUs as entry level, until Intel decides to rock the boat with their discrete cards.

Leave a comment:

• M@GOid
    replied
    Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
    Does it really need 3 fans or are they just flexing?
    There is the concept that "bigger is better". Just like RGB, if 3 fans help to sell the card, you bet they will put them there. This can get so ridiculous, that I have seen a entry level model that is usually sold fanless and half height, with a huge cover and 2 big fans like a high end model. You know, with those glass side panels, you don't want to get caught using a minuscule GPU, right?

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied

Leave a comment:

• M@GOid
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post
    Can we stop discussing Linux printed on the box? I've seen it for years now.

Here, a card from 2018:
    Oh look, Nvidia puts Linux dead last, like a leper they pretend doesn't exist. Thanks to point it out Birdie. People in this forum usually don't like you, but this shows you are indeed a nice guy.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X