Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Hiring For Open-Source GPU Driver Work With Mentions Of Tesla Model S, Steam Deck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Hiring For Open-Source GPU Driver Work With Mentions Of Tesla Model S, Steam Deck

Phoronix: AMD Hiring For Open-Source GPU Driver Work With Mentions Of Tesla Model S, Steam Deck

With AMD's increasing marketshare on the CPU and GPU front, scoring more data center wins, and also scoring custom design wins for Linux-based environments such as with the Tesla Model S and most recently with the Steam Deck, AMD continues hiring more Linux engineers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh, the irony.

- NVIDIA produces a line of accelerators called Tesla
    - NVIDIA provided hardware to Tesla for its AI driver experiment and other things
    - Now AMD provides hardware to Tesla for... what? o-o

Mesa on a car? Success for the open-source community!

Comment

^ Hilarious. Musk for Mesa! Now if he would just pay his taxes.

Anyways, this is fantastic news. Imagine being a Linux enthusiast and not buying an AMD card for your current or next system. Big yikes. I expect some quote replies giving me their use case, but man, it better be good. Go AMD y'all.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

Anyways, this is fantastic news. Imagine being a Linux enthusiast and not buying an AMD card for your current or next system. Big yikes. I expect some quote replies giving me their use case, but man, it better be good. Go AMD y'all.
        CUDA,Optix etc

/s

Seriously tho, on compute side NV is untouchable.

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post

CUDA,Optix etc

/s

Seriously tho, on compute side NV is untouchable.
          Yeah, I think that's the only use case. Any others?

Comment

Untouchable until one day they are not…

AMD have been fairly relentless at advancing their technology. Compute will come… to be honest I would have thought compute would be a prime candidate for OpenSource requirements…

Comment

What taxes owed by Elon Musk are unpaid?

Comment

Yeah, I think that's the only use case. Any others?
                I'd say video encoding too.

Comment

The Chronicles of Riddick only plays nVidia's open GL stack. It's a great game, you can get it on abandonware.com. It used to be playable with a mesa patch but the changes don't seem to work any more. Another reason to keep a GT 710 or better around.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    Oh, the irony.

- NVIDIA produces a line of accelerators called Tesla
                    - NVIDIA provided hardware to Tesla for its AI driver experiment and other things
                    - Now AMD provides hardware to Tesla for... what? o-o

Mesa on a car? Success for the open-source community!
                    What I find confusing is I thought Tesla was working on their own in-house chip. I assume they underestimated how insanely complicated it is to build a processor, let alone for a system as advanced as a Model S, so they dropped it. But why go with AMD? Was Nvidia just like "look who came crawling back? I want 10% more now"?

In any case, this is a win, particularly for AMD users.

Comment

Working...
                    X