Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Hiring For Open-Source GPU Driver Work With Mentions Of Tesla Model S, Steam Deck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Do you know if CPU situation is improving like AMD making a new team that will add sensors support in timely manner now and such?
    Yes, please. We want zero day sensors support. We the Linux users are sensible people.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      Do you know if CPU situation is improving like AMD making a new team that will add sensors support in timely manner now and such?
      Not sure if we are starting a new team or staffing up existing teams but I think we are getting more people in that area. What I'm less sure about is the Ryzen vs Epyc distribution.
      Test signature

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Right. Tax on appreciation of company stock is only payable when you sell the stock. When you do sell you declare a capital gain and pay tax on it.

Any increase in his wealth from stock appreciation of unsold stock should not be included when calculating his current effective tax rate.
          And to get around this billionaires dont sell their stock, instead they go to the bank and get a loan with really low interest using their stock as collateral. You don't have to pay taxes when you have a loan.

There are many methods to avoid paying taxes, the other obvious one is setting up family corporations.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

No shit. I'm not an economist so I have to rely on what economists report on. Funny how that works.
            and this is what's wrong with people, blind trust.

100% of lawyers who lost their licences were lawyers, and 100% of doctors who lost theirs were before that, also doctors. just because someone has a title, doesn't mean they are actually good at it.

there are many reasons corporations don't pay taxes. one of the largest that nobody want's to talk about, is the taxes payed when you hire people. the taxes paid when you purchase equipment, taxes on insurance, and more. then people REEEEEEE when pseudo "Economists" post bullshit in order to bait and mislead people. even if it was true, these corporations and rich people would still pay more in taxes than 80% of citizens combined.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

Yeah, I think that's the only use case. Any others?
              Also having a properly working gpu reset on amdgpu would be very very nice.

Nvidia does that correctly since years, like Intel on Linux does. Amdgpu is pretty bad at it.

Most of the time it doesn't work and when it does it takes down everything with it, unlike other vendors.

Comment

Ok, just got back, what I'd miss...

Comment

Wait till China reunites China by taking control in Taiwan. The global chip shortage would far exceed what we see now!

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post

CUDA,Optix etc

/s

Seriously tho, on compute side NV is untouchable.
                    Hm, untouchable as if having the plague?
                    And computing ... I don't think that after showing now interest in playing open source - not even think of obeying to the rules of Linux kernel development - it is save that their stack will work with future kernels ... this is a risk for customers - and a real one as proven by history.
                    So no, Nvidia has still no support for Linux ... as in GNU/Linux meaning the distributions - not Linux as in Android ... as there the situation is not that black ...
                    From my point of view Nvidia is burnt concerning Linux ... would be the worst thing to depend on that company when relying on Linux.
                    I think that many people have not understood the way of Linux (i.e. kernel) development ... and also of Mesa ... Nvidia is nearly absent here.
                    This counts - and AMD knows it ... it is just a demand of big customers who need reliability ... this is not doable with a fat binary blob without supported hooks in the kernel.
                    But hey, if they would change their attitude we will lose some very interesting popcorn event when Nvidia tries to get things working again in near future ...

Comment

Originally posted by Spacefish View Post
                      Wait till China reunites China by taking control in Taiwan. The global chip shortage would far exceed what we see now!
                      Thankfully it's unlikely to happen.

Comment

Working...
                      X