xf86-video-amdgpu 21.0.0 Released For Radeon Linux Users Still On X.Org

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mulenmar View Post
    because SOMEHOW nobody to package a version of Redshift that works for Wayland sessions
    Because these people use gammastep.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
      @Michael: "these X.Org DDX releases are of little value"

That is ridiculous. Just because X is old and boring from your standpoint doesn't mean maintenance releases are of little value. Slanted "journalism".
      What do you expect from Moronix?

Comment

bridgman

I have a couple of old HD 7970 GPUs that are still perfectly functional, which I use to drive a 2x4K monitor setup (thank you AMD for being forward looking enough to include mDP ports that can drive 4K@60Hz displays on such old hardware).

When I use the amdgpu DRM kernel driver without amdgpu.dc=1, I can maintain 2x4K resolutions perfectly fine.

However, when I use the amdgpu DRM kernel driver with amdgpu.dc=1, I can only maintain 1920x1080p resolutions; anything higher than that and I get weird graphics artefacts where it looks like the whole image has been fed through a scanline filter w/some strange displacement.

This bug happens on multiple distros with identical outcome and happens w/both Wayland and XOrg.

Where and to whom should I report this and what kind of info should I include?

Guidance welcome. =)

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          AFAIK both xf86-video-amdgpu and xf86-video-modesetting are X drivers, and not required for Wayland, although I think you still need them for XWayland.
          You don't need Xorg DDX drivers for XWayland, perhaps it can be said it acts as its own "driver" (not saying nothing is shared with modesetting DDX, no idea about this).

And the article is wrong, as the xf86-video-amdgpu driver for Xorg is still very recommendable by offering VRR in a stable release, has a more stable hardware cursor and automatically offers GPU upscaling resolutions with amdgpu.dc...

Comment

That is ridiculous. Just because X is old and boring from your standpoint doesn't mean maintenance releases are of little value. Slanted "journalism".
            Let him shitpost in peace he owns the god damn website.

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post
              bridgman

I have a couple of old HD 7970 GPUs that are still perfectly functional, which I use to drive a 2x4K monitor setup (thank you AMD for being forward looking enough to include mDP ports that can drive 4K@60Hz displays on such old hardware).

When I use the amdgpu DRM kernel driver without amdgpu.dc=1, I can maintain 2x4K resolutions perfectly fine.

However, when I use the amdgpu DRM kernel driver with amdgpu.dc=1, I can only maintain 1920x1080p resolutions; anything higher than that and I get weird graphics artefacts where it looks like the whole image has been fed through a scanline filter w/some strange displacement.

This bug happens on multiple distros with identical outcome and happens w/both Wayland and XOrg.

Where and to whom should I report this and what kind of info should I include?

Guidance welcome. =)
              This is the place to report your bug: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd

If things work well without DC, I recommend to simply continue using it without DC.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

AFAIK both xf86-video-amdgpu and xf86-video-modesetting are X drivers, and not required for Wayland, although I think you still need them for XWayland.
                Xorg is the only DDX with a module loader.

Xwayland has no drivers, just built-in GBM & EGLStream backends for glamor. Everything else works via the Wayland protocol.

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post

This is the place to report your bug: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd

If things work well without DC, I recommend to simply continue using it without DC.
                  Thanks.

Are you the person who was kind enough to port the DC code to the GCN1.0/1.1 hardware?

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post

Thanks.

Are you the person who was kind enough to port the DC code to the GCN1.0/1.1 hardware?
                    No, I don't work on the kernel driver. I work on RADV and ACO mostly.

Comment

I don't think he meant that ... these drivers are rarely updated, so it's a surprise to see this driver updated now, that a lot more distributions are moving to Wayland.
                      Personally I am pleased that they have updated it, because out there, like it or not, there are a lot of users and companies that still use Xorg.

Comment

Working...
                      X