No announcement yet.

Radeon "Cyan Skillfish" Navi 1x APU Submitted For Linux 5.15 Plus Many Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon "Cyan Skillfish" Navi 1x APU Submitted For Linux 5.15 Plus Many Fixes

Phoronix: Radeon "Cyan Skillfish" Navi 1x APU Submitted For Linux 5.15 Plus Many Fixes

AMD driver engineers have submitted their latest batch of AMDGPU feature updates to DRM-Next for queuing ahead of the Linux 5.15 merge window opening up in about one month's time. With this latest pull request the big addition is the new "Cyan Skillfish" GPU support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I sincerely hope AMD is not thinking to launch a APU for the general market next year with RDNA1. In the case they are not paying attention, Intel is out there with blood in their eyes, tired of being the butt of many jokes about integrated GPUs. Their current offerings is already trading blows with AMD's integrated Vega architecture. There is already a vendor of a mini-laptop out there recommending Intel over AMD for games and backing it up with numbers.

Next year can be the year where people will have no big motives to go AMD for low end/mobile gaming.

Comment

I wonder if either AMD or Intel are aware about the fact that this year's upcoming LTS Linux kernel at year's end (5.15 or possibly 5.16) is more than likely going to end up in Ubuntu 22.04 LTS (and thus also in 'Linux Mint-next' etc.) like 5.4 did for Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.
      Which also means that both companies need to get their new & upcoming hardware revisions for the year 2022 entirely upstreamed into the next LTS kernel, else they risk their shiny new gear not working with the most popular distro for the remainder of 2022, since Ubuntu 22.04.2 (with the 22.10 HWE-stack) won't ship until January 2023 [!]

Hopefully both AMD & INTEL have planned ahead accordingly, since NVIDIA actually is in a more advantageous position with the binary blob in this regard.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
        There's many OSes and you can't plan according to all of them (especially one with 1-2% marketshare). It's a problem of the Linux distributions whether they want to support new hardware. You name Ubuntu, but that one has covered new hardware by later revisions of the LTS version (e.g. the current LTS is 20.04.2.0).

Comment

Originally posted by Ladis View Post

There's many OSes and you can't plan according to all of them (especially one with 1-2% marketshare). It's a problem of the Linux distributions whether they want to support new hardware. You name Ubuntu, but that one has covered new hardware by later revisions of the LTS version (e.g. the current LTS is 20.04.2.0).
          If you had actually bothered to read my rather short post, then you would also notice that I already stated the exact same thing you try to instruct me about...

But hey, this is the internet, so who cares, right?

Comment

Which also means that both companies need to get their new & upcoming hardware revisions for the year 2022 entirely upstreamed into the next LTS kernel, else they risk their shiny new gear not working with the most popular distro for the remainder of 2022, since Ubuntu 22.04.2 (with the 22.10 HWE-stack) won't ship until January 2023 [!]
            Ubuntu (especially LTS and derivatives like Mint) is one of the worst distros for open source drivers. I've seen bug reports from Ubuntu users about bugs that were fixed half a year before and I was powerless to help due to Ubuntu's choice of not upgrading their drivers.

Currently if you use Ubuntu LTS, you exclude yourself from the past several months of advances in open source drivers. This is something that I hope Ubuntu devs will fix in the future. Mint is even worse because they ship long outdated (and unsupported) mesa releases.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
              I sincerely hope AMD is not thinking to launch a APU for the general market next year with RDNA1. In the case they are not paying attention, Intel is out there with blood in their eyes, tired of being the butt of many jokes about integrated GPUs. Their current offerings is already trading blows with AMD's integrated Vega architecture. There is already a vendor of a mini-laptop out there recommending Intel over AMD for games and backing it up with numbers.

Next year can be the year where people will have no big motives to go AMD for low end/mobile gaming.
              Up to this point, new 2022+ consumer APUs are supposed to have RDNA 2 for the most part.

Steam Deck = "Van Gogh" 8 CU RDNA 2
              Rembrandt = 12 CU RDNA 2
              Barcelo = "Cezanne" refresh with 8 CU Vega
              Raphael = Zen 4 desktop CPU with RDNA 2 graphics
              Monet = RDNA 2

Cyan Skillfish with RDNA 1 is an oddity, probably not intended for consumer products.

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post

Ubuntu (especially LTS and derivatives like Mint) is one of the worst distros for open source drivers. I've seen bug reports from Ubuntu users about bugs that were fixed half a year before and I was powerless to help due to Ubuntu's choice of not upgrading their drivers.

Currently if you use Ubuntu LTS, you exclude yourself from the past several months of advances in open source drivers. This is something that I hope Ubuntu devs will fix in the future. Mint is even worse because they ship long outdated (and unsupported) mesa releases.
                Yeah, the kernel situation is quite unfortunate for upstream drivers, but unfortunately there isn't much more Canonical could do about it than they are already doing right now with their "Hardware-Enablement Stack"; I mean, compared to other enterprise-focused distros like RHEL, they can be almost considered "cutting-edge" in this regard.

But when it comes to new & stable Mesa releases on Ubuntu-based distros, Your VALVe colleague with the username "Kisak" has everyone covered with his very timely updated PPA:

The goal of this PPA is to provide the latest point release of Mesa plus select non-invasive early backports. Deviations from upstream packages are listed on the package details page. --- Support status --- Bionic (18.04) - Discontinued - Long term users can use kisak-mesa stable Focal (20.04) - Supported Jammy (22.04) - Supported Lunar (23.04) - End of Life - Removal after 4 weeks (2024-03-01) Mantic (23.10) - Preliminary support (Not tested locally) Note: Please report any issues to mesa...

When You got the opportunity, please thank Him for me and countless other users for providing this service; also remind Him that He should keep it up and not simply suggest everyone should just switch over to SteamOS 3.0 once the Steam Deck is released!

Comment

Yeah, the kernel situation is quite unfortunate for upstream drivers, but unfortunately there isn't much more Canonical could do about it than they are already doing right now with their "Hardware-Enablement Stack"
                  That is true. However I would prefer if Ubuntu would incorporate newer drivers to their LTS in a more timely manner, and without needing the user to enable a number of custom PPAs. That would make Ubuntu much more user friendly.

I mean, compared to other enterprise-focused distros like RHEL, they can be almost considered "cutting-edge" in this regard.
                  I'm not sure about the exact specifics, but AFAIK they do some special effort to backport newer DRM subsystems to the RHEL kernel. Please correct me if I'm wrong about it.

When You got the opportunity, please thank Him for me and countless other users for providing this service; also remind Him that He should keep it up and not simply suggest everyone should just switch over to SteamOS 3.0 once the Steam Deck is released!
                  Thank you. We appreciate your enthusiasm. I forwarded your message to Kisak.

Comment

Working...
                  X