Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
    Could You please state why AMD is so scared by the existence of RADV
    why don't you get a life and just use default driver of your distro instead of making up conspiracy theories? is your distro of choice that bad?

Comment

Having marek hack away at the RADV driver instead of RadeonSI !!
      i don't like radeonsi losing its main developer because some people on internet live in imaginary world like this:
      OpenGL is almost non-existent in games & Gallium-Nine too buggy to be trusted
      every old linux game uses opengl. nine is fastest dx9 implementation

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
        the last business numbers i have read about AMD is in fact very good.
        means amd makes a lot of money in profit and turnover.

the numbers are in fact very good and AMD should change their behaviour from "shortage of goods economy"
        to a model of prosperity economy...

and remember many linux people like me bought amd products in their dargest hour....

ok whats the different in prosperity economy compared to shortage of goods economy...

the difference is in shortage economy you do "fill for even more urgent projects"

in a prosperity economy you do not only do what is "urgent" but what is nice to have.
        Yep, we started that change as soon as we were solidly profitable, but that was only a year or so ago and it takes time to make such a big change. The Linux part of the org has grown quite a bit already but the number of projects in flight has grown about as fast, so we still have a ways to go.
        Last edited by bridgman; 28 July 2021, 11:21 PM.
        Test signature

Comment

It's not like the driver was written by Lord Voldemort, you know!
          Mesa is a very inclusive project so if Voldemort wanted to contribute, he could do so without being discriminated.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
            Linuxxx i think that will be the least of their problems ("shock"). the biggest shock will probably "this weird windows version"
            Actually, fewer than expected are planning to wipe SteamOS to install Windows on the Deck if the following survey from a gaming site is somewhat accurate (not a Linux focused site):

I see a lot of people saying that they're just going to install Windows right away on the Steam Deck and I feel like they're ignoring a few things: AMD drivers on Windows are meh at best, Linux drivers are much better. SteamOS supports suspend/resume, which to me is a huge deal, maybe not for...

Question: Will you be installing Windows or keeping SteamOS on the Steam Deck?
            • Windows

Votes: 346 22.6%
            • SteamOS

Votes: 742 48.4%
            • Dual-boot

Votes: 446 29.1%

• Total voters 1,534

I'm cautiously optimistic that only a minority of users will bother to install Windows in the end.
            One feature that is exclusive for SteamOS and that won't work with Windows is "fast suspend and resume" as described here

"The most interesting feature seems to be Fast Suspend/Resume, which will supposedly pause the game and put the handheld into sleep mode. Once its powered back on, you are put right where you left off"

To get that working on SteamOs has apparently required close cooperation between Valve and AMD and requires changes in Steam client and the drivers / kernel. It will not work that way if you install Windows on the Deck, then you will have the ordinary suspend everything (like laptop suspend), but it will not put you back in the game where you left off once you resume.
            ​​​​

Comment

Well, no matter how you put it: AMD's driver strategy wastes potential, which is just sad. Neither words nor money can fix that, instead we need a change in mentality here. This is probably my last comment on this, as it seems there is nothing more to say. I don't want to be annoyed by this anymore either.
              It's not like there is a competitor with a ton of money and large advances in RT, machine learning and software. Even though currently every produced GPU can be sold with a nice margin, chances are it won't stay that way forever (well, while it undoubtedly will stay that way for quite some time though).

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                Well, no matter how you put it: AMD's driver strategy wastes potential, which is just sad. Neither words nor money can fix that, instead we need a change in mentality here. This is probably my last comment on this, as it seems there is nothing more to say. I don't want to be annoyed by this anymore either.
                Everyone seems to talk about wasted potential, but all of the proposed solutions boil down to "AMD should spend more money", ie "AMD should stop doing something that takes a small amount of engineering time and instead do something that takes a large amount of engineering time".

I have a tough time reconciling those two points.
                Test signature

Comment

tomas give it a period of time after release when people will realize there are too many games that has issues with it. and then we'll see how many will stay on linux. steam survey still have a very low % of linux user even after so many years

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
                    tomas give it a period of time after release when people will realize there are too many games that has issues with it. and then we'll see how many will stay on linux. steam survey still have a very low % of linux user even after so many years
                    Actually, I've read that AMD's Windows driver actively checks the underlying hardware and then refuses to run if not officially supported by the driver (like the recent version not running on pre-POLARIS GPUs).
                    Can anybody who has access to Windows verify this?

If true, this generally anti-consumer "feature" could actually provide an advantage on the Steam Deck, since installing Windows on that thing might be harder than assumed!

Still, I'm pretty sure that overall AMD's image within the Windows crowd will take yet another big hit once the Steam Deck drops like a bomb:
                    Ask around in any Windows-centric forum, and you will find out that 99% of users there have never heard of RADV before, let alone that it was written by non-AMD developers!
                    That's what I meant with "people are going to find out", bridgman ...
                    Get it now?
                    It was about the sorry state of your official Windows & Linux drivers and the superiority of MESA's RADV in comparison!
                    ​​​​​​​At least AMD's marketing team should be worried about this...

Comment

Actually, I've read that AMD's Windows driver actively checks the underlying hardware and then refuses to run if not officially supported by the driver (like the recent version not running on pre-POLARIS GPUs). Can anybody who has access to Windows verify this?

If true, this generally anti-consumer "feature" could actually provide an advantage on the Steam Deck, since installing Windows on that thing might be harder than assumed!
                      Yep, if the driver does not contain code for the underlying hardware it will refuse to run. It's not clear how that is a bad thing though, since the alternative would be to run code paths for some other hardware and probably crash/hang immediately.

Still, I'm pretty sure that overall AMD's image within the Windows crowd will take yet another big hit once the Steam Deck drops like a bomb:
                      Ask around in any Windows-centric forum, and you will find out that 99% of users there have never heard of RADV before, let alone that it was written by non-AMD developers! That's what I meant with "people are going to find out", bridgman ...
                      Get it now?
                      Nope, still not getting it. Why would Windows users care about RADV in the first place ?

I do agree that at least 99% of them will have never heard of RADV, so we are aligned there.

The thing that bugs Windows users the most AFAIK is that the AMD-supported Linux OpenGL driver (in Mesa) runs Minecraft and some console emulators a lot faster than the AMD-supported Windows OpenGL driver.

My impression was that the AMD-supported Windows Vulkan driver is regarded as being pretty good.
                      Last edited by bridgman; 29 July 2021, 10:55 PM.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X