Mesa RADV vs. AMDVLK Radeon Vulkan Performance For July 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mphuZ View Post
    Are you sure that you have no problems with your system? This regression looks wild. Or is it only with UltraHD?

I don't consider tests with Proton, since neither the developers nor Valve themselves have lifted a finger to fix errors with AMDVLK.
    But the test in the Tomb Rider on low and high settings looks strange.

bridgman, what do you say about this?
    Don't overthink this because is very simple:

AMDVLK simply exists for two reasons:
    1.) AMD promoted a FOSS driver and due to PR(and some legal issues) they have to provide one, hence this is basically a semi regular code dump to meet that criteria.
    2.) AMD has to provide an "Official" driver because there are segments of the market that may require it but those will use AMDVLK from the closed driver(wink wink see my point).

At this point RADV(and bigger optimizations are waiting merge at the time of this post) is superior in every aspect to AMDVLK hence it doesn't make any sense for Valve or anyone else(including AMD) to pour any more effort on AMDVLK than they already have.

Please note that DXVK/D9vk/Valve developers tried at some point to fix issues but the management was not as fluid as Mesa/RADV, AMDVLK is basically FOSS but is managed as a closed release.

About Google Stadia "AMDVLK" i suspect they are using a heavily modified version of AMDVLK(probably the closed one tho) with some special sauce for their special use case.

Comment

Wow quite a large leap

Comment

jrch2k8

"About Google Stadia "AMDVLK" i suspect they are using a heavily modified version of AMDVLK(probably the closed one tho) with some special sauce for their special use case."

Yes, this must be the only reasonable explanation. Otherwise Google would be wasting a LOT of GPU performance for no reason. And Google are usually not stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
          About Google Stadia "AMDVLK" i suspect they are using a heavily modified version of AMDVLK(probably the closed one tho)
          They actually use the open one, although I don't know if it's modified. Google didn't explicitly say Stadia uses AMDVLK, but it said that it utilizes Radeon GPU profiler and LLVM, so that's how eveyone figured out it's AMDVLK-open.
          Last edited by user1; 23 July 2021, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tomas View Post
            jrch2k8Yes, this must be the only reasonable explanation. Otherwise Google would be wasting a LOT of GPU performance for no reason. And Google are usually not stupid.
            I'm pretty sure AMDVLK does game specific optimizations/hacks just like every WIndows driver does to make sure games run well. AFAIK, mesa drivers try to avoid game specific optimizations/hacks (they do it only if there is an issue with a certain game that can't be fixed in other ways). Maybe that's also partly why Google went with AMDVLK?
            Last edited by user1; 23 July 2021, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Out of curiosity, is Vulkan being used any where other than gaming currently?

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
                Out of curiosity, is Vulkan being used any where other than gaming currently?
                I suppose it is still a complete niche for content creation/workstation and GPU compute. Might even apply to most recent Android versions and ecosystem, as Vulkan drivers by mobile GPU vendors are said to be a terrible mess.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
                  It's interesting to see the comparison between these 2 drivers! But in all these years I've not bothered once to install AMDVLK. The quality and performance of RADV was always to good to try anything else, plus there is ACO now. I don't think both drivers compete, RADV is the default and superior in gaming, AMDVLK is for special cases (like Stadia) and it is good to have it as a reference.
                  Somebody make AMDVLK with ACO and then we'll have a true competitor to the proprietary driver...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Somebody make AMDVLK with ACO and then we'll have a true competitor to the proprietary driver...
                    Honestly, i don't see the need RADV is already on pair even with the windows vulkan driver or sometimes faster at least from my PoV

Comment

Originally posted by mphuZ View Post
                      neither the developers nor Valve themselves have lifted a finger to fix errors with AMDVLK.
                      If you have issues with RADV, please open a bug report on the Mesa gitlab.

I'm sorry that we only give you one driver.

Comment

Working...
                      X