Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATI R600/700 3D Acceleration In Mesa Next Week?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I expect you will need to update the drm as well. The X server and Mesa driver use different APIs into the drm; right now the API used by the X server is implemented in the Jaunty kernel (that's what EXA and Xv use) but the API used by Mesa is not.

The r600_demo program uses the X server's API, not the Mesa API.
    Test signature

Comment

You'll need an updated drm and ddx to use the new mesa driver. You need the updated ddx to specify the correct 3D driver name, and you'll need an updated drm to supply the ioctl used for 3D. As John said, the 2D and 3D drivers do not use the same ioctls at the moment. Since the 3D driver isn't done yet, the 3D ioctl is still in flux.

Comment

Alright, sounds good. New Mesa, new copy of drm, new xorg-driver-*, ???, profit.

I guess I'll give this a shot on the Lunar install then, since the repository has a drm-git package, and I've previously written my own packages to install xorg-driver-ati and/or xorg-driver-radeonhd. I haven't gotten the Mesa git install to work on lunar yet, but I wrote the basic framework for it while I was screwing around with this stuff last month. Shouldn't be too hard to extend that to pull whatever branches I need from the repository.

WWWHeeEE!!!!! Yay friday!

Comment

hey - that's great news !

thanks guys

seems like I can put back in my 4850

(I'm having loads of problems with flgrx - hopefully the opensource driver just works™)

kde 4 with accelerated / composited desktop (most preferably opengl) will work, right ?

is there any ETA when powerplay / energy savings stuff for the R700 (or 600) gets included ?
          Last edited by kernelOfTruth; 12 April 2009, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
            hey - that's great news !

thanks guys

seems like I can put back in my 4850

(I'm having loads of problems with flgrx - hopefully the opensource driver just works?)

kde 4 with accelerated / composited desktop (most preferably opengl) will work, right ?
            With EXA, render based compositing will work. GL-based compositing requires a 3D driver which is not available yet.

Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
            is there any ETA when powerplay / energy savings stuff for the R700 (or 600) gets included ?
            We hope to push some basic stuff out soon.

Comment

How far is running Doom3 on it then?

Comment

I doubt anyone has tried it yet. We're focusing on getting the low level tests passing first.
                Test signature

Comment

Or when can I play Zero Ballistics which requires GLSL... Also I don't know of any oss driver that can run gl2benchmark. fglrx 9-2 and newer runs it or nvidia binary.

Comment

For GLSL on 6xx/7xx you'll probably want to stay with fglrx for a while longer. I expect you will see GLSL in open drivers on 3xx-5xx before you see it on 6xx-7xx.
                    Test signature

Comment

Don't you think it is a bit uncomfortable to uninstall fglrx when you want to watch a video and then switch to fglrx when you want to play a game?

Comment

Working...
                      X