Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATI R600/700 3D Acceleration In Mesa Next Week?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
    This is not really about software patents. AFAIU the most troublesome areas are DRM and patented algorithms which make the hardware itself "faster". If we didn't have the latter one we'd only have 60% of our current FPS in graphics intensive games, so I wouldn't complain about them
    This is a complete BS about "magic algorithms". And AMD is not going to release any chip designs anyway. It's all about AACS and those freaking Hollywood studios with MPAA as an enforcer. It makes me sad and laugh at the same time when Blu-ray gets cracked over and over again and all the interenet is filled with HD RIPs and we, costumers, suffer from MPAA lawyers ready to destroy any company if it leaks any info compromising their protection scheme. They lost DRM war second time and they do not confess it. Sorry for my non-native english.
    Last edited by chelobaka; 10 April 2009, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      The drm code is already ok in 9.04 as the used 2.6.28 kernel has the needed drm update patch. So you basically only have to update the mesa part.
      Unfortunately, I think the DRM code in question is only enough to support X's use of the GPU, and that OpenGL will require an updated kernel driver. I could be wrong, though.

Comment

The ati driver in U is patched to use EXA and that only works correctly when the kernel module is new enough. With XAA you would not get xv support - but as this the 3d part of the chip has to do that, there will be no further update required, it is just the same.

Comment

There is no XAA support for r6xx and newer chips and I don't plan to ever implement it. The XAA API is a very poor match for a 3D engine only. Shadowfb is more useful.

Comment

Well, how well does 2D performance and video work in the radeonhd driver for the 780G chipset (HD 3200)? With fglrx, 2D seems to lag a bit at times, and I dunno if it's related to fglrx, but sometimes when you switch tabs in a multi tabbed session of gvim, the text isn't drawn. However, video seems to work fine with fglrx.

Comment

Originally posted by LavosPhoenix View Post
              Well, how well does 2D performance and video work in the radeonhd driver for the 780G chipset (HD 3200)? With fglrx, 2D seems to lag a bit at times, and I dunno if it's related to fglrx, but sometimes when you switch tabs in a multi tabbed session of gvim, the text isn't drawn. However, video seems to work fine with fglrx.
              Both 2D (EXA) and video (Xv) accel work fine as long as you have updated drm modules for your kernel.

Comment

If you try the open source driver just make sure you have completely uninstalled fglrx first; the fglrx drm will interfere with the open source drm and you won't get acceleration.
                Test signature

Comment

fglrx only overrides the mesa lib, should not disable EXA or xv. But of course a loaded fglrx module or when a new mesa is out.

Comment

Agreed. It's usually a loaded fglrx kernel module that causes trouble.
                    Test signature

Comment

I just want to make sure I've got this straight before I start investing too much thought/time into it: If I were to grab a copy of Ubuntu Jaunty in 2 weeks when it comes out, in theory I'd just have to update xorg-driver-ati/radeonhd and the mesa libs to 7.5, but not have to touch the kernel if I wanted to get the Mesa 3D code for my RV770 working (replace Mesa 7.5 with radeon-rewrite or whatever Mesa branch the code ends up in for now, since it sounds like Mesa 7.5 will be released before all the r600/r700 3D code gets merged in).

Because the item being discussed is Mesa 3D drivers for r600/r700, and there's not yet a Gallium driver written for these chips, no X.Org or kernel updates are needed, just Mesa and xorg-driver-ati or xorg-driver-radeonhd, right?

I've been wanting to try out a lot of the work that's been going on lately for the Radeon 4850 I have in my home machine, but replacing half of the X stack in Ubuntu is a bit more than I really feel like dealing with right now. If it turns out I'll still have to replace X.org and/or the kernel, I'll give it a shot in my Lunar Linux install instead [ yay for source-based distros that aren't Gentoo =) ].

Comment

Working...
                      X