X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jaxa
    replied
    Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post

You are on point. I hope these rumors are true, especially the zen 4 desktop part!
    Yeah, I'm sure there's more than a few people here who would buy a 12-16 core CPU and settle for a low amount of integrated RDNA2 graphics compute units (for example, 4) if they don't care about games. Add in bad GPU market conditions (even by the end of 2022) and that group will be even larger.

I think part of the reason why AMD wants graphics on every desktop CPU soon is to use it for machine learning acceleration. Leaked roadmaps show "CVML" on parts with RDNA2 graphics, which is taken to mean "Computer Vision and Machine Learning".

Leave a comment:

• Jabberwocky
    replied
    Originally posted by jaxa View Post

That's kinda big news. There hasn't been any indication that RDNA1 would be used in anything like an APU. Maybe something niche like an embedded product?

I think we'll see RDNA2 APUs (Rembrandt) in laptops early in 2022. Cezanne APUs started launching on January 12, 2021. That's less than a year after Renoir, which was March 16, 2020.

RDNA2 APUs for OEM desktops could actually be the first chips on the AM5 socket which uses DDR5. They would be launching at least a couple months after Alder Lake is launched (around November) with support for DDR4 and DDR5. DDR5 memory will already be on the market to coincide with Alder Lake's launch. In fact, you could already preorder TeamGroup Elite DDR5-4800 kits on Amazon and Newegg.

Later in 2022, Zen 4 desktop CPUs should launch. Those are rumored to include RDNA2 graphics instead of no graphics.
    You are on point. I hope these rumors are true, especially the zen 4 desktop part!

Leave a comment:

• jaxa
    replied
    Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
    So, this is a APU with a RDNA1 GPU?
    That's kinda big news. There hasn't been any indication that RDNA1 would be used in anything like an APU. Maybe something niche like an embedded product?

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

All those products show that the RDNA2 nodes are up and running and have been for some time. Custom or consumer is irrelevant in this case.

I don't think there will be any RDNA2 APUs for laptops and desktops until DDR5 systems are on the market.
    I think we'll see RDNA2 APUs (Rembrandt) in laptops early in 2022. Cezanne APUs started launching on January 12, 2021. That's less than a year after Renoir, which was March 16, 2020.

RDNA2 APUs for OEM desktops could actually be the first chips on the AM5 socket which uses DDR5. They would be launching at least a couple months after Alder Lake is launched (around November) with support for DDR4 and DDR5. DDR5 memory will already be on the market to coincide with Alder Lake's launch. In fact, you could already preorder TeamGroup Elite DDR5-4800 kits on Amazon and Newegg.

Later in 2022, Zen 4 desktop CPUs should launch. Those are rumored to include RDNA2 graphics instead of no graphics.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by Venemo View Post

Steam Deck is not on the market yet. PS5 and Xbox are (in my opinion) quite closed devices.

AFAIK currently there is no RDNA 2 based APU for either laptop or destkop form factors. And sadly the RDNA dGPUs are also only in very few laptops.
    All those products show that the RDNA2 nodes are up and running and have been for some time. Custom or consumer is irrelevant in this case.

I don't think there will be any RDNA2 APUs for laptops and desktops until DDR5 systems are on the market.

Leave a comment:

• Venemo
    replied

PS5 and Series X. Steam Deck was just announced. They're also going to be using RDNA2 APUs in Teslas.

That's two on the market with more on the way. With known RDNA2 APUs on the market and more on the way, RDNA1 APUs seem odd unless they're gonna be budget AM5 or sendoff AM4 or something along those lines.
    Steam Deck is not on the market yet. PS5 and Xbox are (in my opinion) quite closed devices.

AFAIK currently there is no RDNA 2 based APU for either laptop or destkop form factors. And sadly the RDNA dGPUs are also only in very few laptops.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post

AFAIK only custom chips. PlayStation, Xbox, Steam Deck (low availablity december 2021 and better availability towards end of 2022).

Not only will we wait a long time for RDNA 1 APUs but I'm guessing it won't be nearly as good as the custom chips (relative to the difference between 5k and 6k series GPUs).

I would like to see Navi based UDOO Bolt. It's such an awesome platform especially for students who don't have over $1000 USD to drop on a GPU.
    Custom or not, they're still on the market now in gaming devices and are coming out in the future for handhelds and infotainment centers in cars which means that they have RDNA2 APU production lines in full swing.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied

Which RDNA 2 APU devices are on the market currently? I'm not aware of any.
    PS5 and Series X. Steam Deck was just announced. They're also going to be using RDNA2 APUs in Teslas.

That's two on the market with more on the way. With known RDNA2 APUs on the market and more on the way, RDNA1 APUs seem odd unless they're gonna be budget AM5 or sendoff AM4 or something along those lines.

Leave a comment:

• Jabberwocky
    replied

AFAIK only custom chips. PlayStation, Xbox, Steam Deck (low availablity december 2021 and better availability towards end of 2022).

Not only will we wait a long time for RDNA 1 APUs but I'm guessing it won't be nearly as good as the custom chips (relative to the difference between 5k and 6k series GPUs).

I would like to see Navi based UDOO Bolt. It's such an awesome platform especially for students who don't have over $1000 USD to drop on a GPU.

Leave a comment:

• gsedej
    replied

Probably taught Steam deck that has apu with RDNA2, but it's not released yet (end of year) and it might be custom made for Valve.

Leave a comment:

• Venemo
    replied

Looks like it. I wonder if this is AM4 or not? If so, I think it would make a nice last APU sendoff before the new platform drops. If not, I question why it exists due to RDNA2 APU devices already on the market.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X