No announcement yet.

AMD Drops Pre-Polaris GPU Support From Their Mainline Radeon Software Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Given the current GPU market (people are often more or less forced to rely on outdated GPUs for the time being) I think it's a little bit too early for this step right now. Particularly because they're dropping so many GPU generations at once. But of course, it's AMD's decision, after all.

I think they should have kept GCN 3rd generation supported at least!

Comment

Originally posted by agaman View Post
      Will new versions of AMDVLK drop the support for those cards too?
      Did AMDVLK ever support cards from 2015 and older?

Comment

Hmmm, this means there is a chance that windows 11 gonna be more than just new UI.

I remember that before Windows 7 release the x800 and x1000 have lost the support.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
          Given the current GPU market (people are often more or less forced to rely on outdated GPUs for the time being) I think it's a little bit too early for this step right now. Particularly because they're dropping so many GPU generations at once. But of course, it's AMD's decision, after all.

I think they should have kept GCN 3rd generation supported at least!
          Yeah, I find it curious that support for TONGA was dropped, because it is still part of the GFX8 family, just like all the POLARIS chips.

bridgman
          Any comment You could make on this?
          A lot of Your Windows customers seem to be really pissed of right now...

(Me? My R9 380 [AMD's competent marketing called it ANTIGUA, while in reality it's still just TONGA] has never performed any better than it does right now on my trusty Linux! ["Fine WINE" et al...])

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

Did AMDVLK ever support cards from 2015 and older?
            In the README of the AMDVLK repo it currently says:
            Product Support

The AMD Open Source Driver for Vulkan is designed to support the following AMD GPUs:
            • Radeonâ„¢ RX 6900/6800/6700 Series
            • Radeonâ„¢ RX 5700/5600/5500 Series
            • Radeonâ„¢ RX Vega Series
            • Radeonâ„¢ R5/R7/R9 200/300 Series
            • Radeonâ„¢ RX 400/500 Series
            • Radeonâ„¢ M200/M300/M400 Series
            • Radeonâ„¢ HD 8000M Series
            • Radeonâ„¢ HD 7000 Series
            • AMD FireProâ„¢ Workstation Wx000/Wx100/Wx300 Series
            • Radeonâ„¢ Pro WX x100/x200 Series
            • Radeonâ„¢ Pro 400/500 Series
            • Radeonâ„¢ W5700/W5500 Series

Comment

I have a Tonga and while i am not particularly bothered by this change, i can't help but feel that the decision to make Polaris the baseline was based on popularity of those gpus and not on any technology restriction. Polaris is not that much improved/different from Tonga, i can't see how they couldn't support GCN 3rd generation and needed to cut it. Especially since most 3rd generation GCN cards can still game just fine and are not much worse than Polaris cards. Anyway, i suppose this would have happened sooner or later, it just sucks that the gpu market is what it is these days, i am way overdue for an upgrade but won't until the pricing situation improves.

On the Linux side, the only "bad" outcome of dropping support would be dropping support for the closed source OpenCL module that is still relevant for mesa users, since the mesa opencl is not really functional yet. Other than that, the mesa driver is better for non-enterprise users anyway.

Comment

Well, my old Radeon 7770M was supported for about 11 years. That's really pretty good. The notebook it's in broke long ago.

Comment

Originally posted by agaman View Post

In the README of the AMDVLK repo it currently says:
                  Oh, I wasn't aware that GCN1 was supported. So the cut is basically at GCN4 now?

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
                    Well, my old Radeon 7770M was supported for about 11 years. That's really pretty good. The notebook it's in broke long ago.
                    Yeah, but with Linux, always someone complains lol. Its not supported for 500 years?! What?! How dare they!

Comment

Originally posted by ShFil View Post
                      Hmmm, this means there is a chance that windows 11 gonna be more than just new UI.
                      I highly doubt that considering Microsoft has followed Apple and moved Windows to a more iterative development process. Windows 11 is obviously going to be more of a glorified service pack than something substantially different like 7 or Vista.

On topic: Sucks for those on older GPUs who for some reason need the official drivers, but I doubt there's all that many of them to begin with. Most people using those older cards are going to be on the open source drivers and hence unaffected by this whole thing. Even the GPU shortage excuse won't hold for much longer now that crypto miners have figured out what direction the wind is blowing and stopped expanding their operations, causing a massive surge in retail availability.

Here in Europe better stores have had almost everything in stock since the beginning of last week when before that it was mostly AMD GPUs that were reliably in stock. Prices are still at 200% of MSRP, but it's obvious that those will come down as retailers try and maximize sale prices as they drop prices in pace with satisfying demand at various levels of price over-inflation. My usual go-to store (jimms) has been getting shipments of 100 cards of a single SKU since the start of last week and they're selling at a pretty good pace despite how over-priced they are. Another sign of the situation being on track for a return to sanity is that the second hand market's been flooded as people try and shift the cards they were able to snap up at near-MSRP while they can still sell them at a good profit.

Me, I got a GPU I've been eyeing for some time at "just" 25% above MSRP with a bit of haggling. Didn't expect the seller to actually accept my lowball offer, but when you do that you should always be ready to go for it in the off chance they accept.

Comment

Working...
                      X