RADV Open-Source Radeon Vulkan Driver Begins Landing Ray-Tracing Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RADV Open-Source Radeon Vulkan Driver Begins Landing Ray-Tracing Changes

Phoronix: RADV Open-Source Radeon Vulkan Driver Begins Landing Ray-Tracing Changes

In recent months RADV lead developer Bas Nieuwenhuizen began working on Vulkan ray-tracing support for this Mesa Radeon Vulkan driver that isn't officially supported by AMD but as an alternative to the company's open-source AMDVLK driver or their cross-platform proprietary Vulkan driver. Hitting the Mesa 21.2-devel code a few minutes ago is the initial Vulkan ray-tracing bits for RADV!..

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...Starts-Landing

With all the Vulkan work going on for version 4, I wonder how long we'll be waiting for Godot engine to support RT.

Comment

Originally posted by ResponseWriter View Post
      With all the Vulkan work going on for version 4, I wonder how long we'll be waiting for Godot engine to support RT.
      Godot 4.0 won't have hardware raytracing support (although SDFGI uses a form of ray tracing to simulate global illumination). Hardware raytracing is more likely to land in a future 4.x release.

Nonetheless, Godot 4.0 will offer visuals far superior to Godot 3.x.

Comment

Do I need AMD proprietary driver for OpenCL support? Will RADV support OpenCL?

Comment

There are two features for Godot 4 that I'm waiting for in anticipation:
          * New tilemaps
          * GDScript improvements

The Vulkan render would be welcome, but I'm unlikely to need anything above GLES2 for the "games" I'm doing with my kids.

Edit:
          Actually, a simple sprite editor built in would be even more of a killer feature for me. It needn't be more featureful than basic Paint.

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
            Edit:
            Actually, a simple sprite editor built in would be even more of a killer feature for me. It needn't be more featureful than basic Paint.
            Look into Pixelorama, which is made with Godot

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
              Look into Pixelorama, which is made with Godot

I was thinking more from a Texture object, you could just say "Create in Pixelorama" and it would create a blank PXO and assign it to the texture, and then watch it for saves and auto-reload it.

That would get you to the good enough mark quite easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post

Godot 4.0 won't have hardware raytracing support (although SDFGI uses a form of ray tracing to simulate global illumination). Hardware raytracing is more likely to land in a future 4.x release.

Nonetheless, Godot 4.0 will offer visuals far superior to Godot 3.x.
                Yes, I imagine RT isn't a high priority. I played with 3.2/3.3 a bit last year but really looking forward to the improvements in 4.0.

Originally posted by Andythe_great View Post
                Do I need AMD proprietary driver for OpenCL support? Will RADV support OpenCL?
                RADV is a Vulkan implementation, not OpenCL. There is an OpenCL driver called 'Clover' in Mesa but I have better success with the one from amdgpu-pro alongside Mesa by using opencl-amd package in AUR. I don't know what the package would be called for non-Arch distros.

Comment

Working...
                X