AMD Announces The Radeon PRO W6000 Series - RDNA2 Workstation GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mark625 View Post
    No mention of FP64 rates here or at AMD.com. So if FP16 rate is up to 35 Tflops, and FP32 is up to 17 Tflops, the only logical conclusion is that FP64 rate is ... 1 Tflops. You know, the same as a 10yo HD7970. Because why would you want fast FP64 on a $2300 accelerator card?

Just guessing.
    Usually the relation between IEEE float width and FPU throughput is roughly linear, at least with these recent architectures, so probably more like 8TFLOPS for fp64.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post
      In 'professional' (as opposed to gaming cards), FP64 should be good and somewhere close to FP32/2. Otherwise, what does 'professional' stand for?
      The purpose of pro cards is to have AMD be the driver vendor, workflow certifier, and board vendor all at the same time, so that they can offer a warranty on the whole experience. One level deeper, they would be also selling you the motherboard, CPU, and validated DIMMs as well; usually this last bit is done at the OEM level though, for historical reasons, so when Lenovo gets a complaint about AutoCAD 2021 on your ThinkStation, they can bitch at AMD alone for the GPU (rather than mediating a bitchfest between the AMD driver team and a board partner like ASUS).

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

Usually the relation between IEEE float width and FPU throughput is roughly linear, at least with these recent architectures, so probably more like 8TFLOPS for fp64.
        Which was kind of my point. Another poster found the AMD specs and the FP64 rate is 1.11 Tflops, or 1/16th of the FP32 rate. This FP64 crippling has come to be expected for consumer grade cards, but one would expect better from a PRO card. FP32 is actually fine for my field (image processing), but I think for the prices they are charging we should get non-crippled FP64. If not 1/2 of FP32 rate, at least 1/4th.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
          I was going to write something about the W6600 actually being (semi-)reasonably priced, so that I could possibly get one out of my own pocket to avoid long debates with my boss regarding purchasing something which may or may not do what we need.

Then I remembered ROCm support. Or rather, the lack of it. At this point, I kind of give up with ever trying to get away from CUDA lock-in.

I need to stop getting my hopes up.
          Out of curiosity, I had a look through some ROCm stack libraries (e.g. miopen) that were explicitly marked as having no RDNA support a few months ago. Seems like there have been a number of commits explicitly mentioning RDNA 1 and 2, so evidentlythere is work in progress. Whether this is enough to sway a purchasing decision is another story.

Comment

If anybody need fp64 they would be better off looking for a used r9 280x (1,024 GFLOPS of fp64). I still have mine from the days I used to dabble with lattice group theory.

Comment

Originally posted by StillStuckOnSI View Post

Out of curiosity, I had a look through some ROCm stack libraries (e.g. miopen) that were explicitly marked as having no RDNA support a few months ago. Seems like there have been a number of commits explicitly mentioning RDNA 1 and 2, so evidentlythere is work in progress. Whether this is enough to sway a purchasing decision is another story.
              AMD plans to add RDNA support to ROCm this year https://github.com/RadeonOpenCompute...ment-799243125.

Comment

Originally posted by kgardas View Post
                So basically W3200 is fine for me.
                Beware that even a puny wx3200 trends to overheat under load. You will have to tweak it's fan curve if you don't want to have 90 degrees celsius metal parts in your computer.

Comment

Originally posted by khnazile View Post
                  Beware that even a puny wx3200 trends to overheat under load. You will have to tweak it's fan curve if you don't want to have 90 degrees celsius metal parts in your computer.
                  Thanks, but so far it looks good even in summer temperatures:

amdgpu-pci-6500
                  Adapter: PCI adapter
                  vddgfx: 850.00 mV
                  fan1: 2265 RPM (min = 1800 RPM, max = 6900 RPM)
                  edge: +53.0°C (crit = +97.0°C, hyst = -273.1°C)
                  power1: 7.10 W (cap = 35.00 W)

I really use this just to drive 2D for 3 monitors. Nothing more. Also I plan to switch stock fan to passive one GPU market situation becomes only a bit better and w3200 would be avilable next day in central EU again. This just for case I screw something up. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

The purpose of pro cards is to have AMD be the driver vendor, workflow certifier, and board vendor all at the same time, so that they can offer a warranty on the whole experience. One level deeper, they would be also selling you the motherboard, CPU, and validated DIMMs as well; usually this last bit is done at the OEM level though, for historical reasons, so when Lenovo gets a complaint about AutoCAD 2021 on your ThinkStation, they can bitch at AMD alone for the GPU (rather than mediating a bitchfest between the AMD driver team and a board partner like ASUS).
                    Well sure, but people also want to use them for compute in general...
                    And low FP64 performance is just one issue for professional workloads. As is there is also a lack of ROCm or SR-IOV support.
                    Last edited by mppix; 09 June 2021, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kgardas View Post
                      Thanks, but so far it looks good even in summer temperatures
                      I'm using mine in an actual SFF case, and I was able to hit critical temperature when it starts thermal throttling. The fan never spins at full speed. And even if you undervolt/downclock it, it would still reach temperatures above 90C because fan would be spinning at 20% of full speed or so. I'm really not happy with default fan setting as it makes whole pc case hot to touch.

Comment

Working...
                      X