Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Queues More Beige Goby Bring-Up, 16bpc Format For Vulkan, Smart Shift For Linux 5.14

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AMD Queues More Beige Goby Bring-Up, 16bpc Format For Vulkan, Smart Shift For Linux 5.14

    Phoronix: AMD Queues More Beige Goby Bring-Up, 16bpc Format For Vulkan, Smart Shift For Linux 5.14

    AMD has submitted their latest batch of feature work on the AMDGPU kernel graphics driver to DRM-Next of new material queuing for the upcoming Linux 5.14 cycle...

    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-BG-Linux-5.14

  • #2
    I wonder what will come first. A good AMD laptop with switchable graphics. Or Nvidia getting optimus to work properly on Linux.

    My money's on AMD.

    Comment


    • #3
      Smart Shift on Linux is the kind of news that is nice to read.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Devorlon View Post
        I wonder what will come first. A good AMD laptop with switchable graphics. Or Nvidia getting optimus to work properly on Linux.

        My money's on AMD.
        I managed to get an Alienware with Intel CPU + AMD Graphics and a 4k screen, I've got a feeling its going to be a struggle to find a replacement that won't regress the screen

        Hopefully in the next 12 months someone will release a laptop with an AMD APU (with AV1 HW decode) and AMD discrete graphics with a 4k screen

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
          Hopefully in the next 12 months someone will release a laptop with an AMD APU (with AV1 HW decode) and AMD discrete graphics with a 4k screen
          With the exception of the 4K screen you are already there with the ASUS anouncement. For some reason companies put 4K in cell phones and monitors but can't bring them selves to put them in laptops. But I suspect some one will do it in the next year. Unfortunately it will likely be some one like Alienware with one of their luggables and a $10,000 price..

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post

            With the exception of the 4K screen you are already there with the ASUS anouncement. For some reason companies put 4K in cell phones and monitors but can't bring them selves to put them in laptops. But I suspect some one will do it in the next year. Unfortunately it will likely be some one like Alienware with one of their luggables and a $10,000 price..
            Dell has been offering high resolution displays in their XPS series. XPS 15 9530 from 2013 started with WQHD+ 3200x1800, XPS 15 9560 from 2017 started offering 4K, and the latest models go beyond that with 3840x2400. The 13" XPS 13 9350 from 2015 had a 3200x1800 option too. I'm pretty sure if you look hard enough you'll find the same for other major manufacturers.

            Comment


            • #7
              What are you using the 4k monitor resolution in a laptop for ?
              The screen size; the horsepower required to drive that resolution; the battery life..

              I would rather have a screen with wider color gamut and high refresh rate with freesync.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post
                What are you using the 4k monitor resolution in a laptop for ?
                The screen size; the horsepower required to drive that resolution; the battery life..

                I would rather have a screen with wider color gamut and high refresh rate with freesync.
                Proper font rendering. I dislike every blurry approximation that has to be used on low PPI displays.
                The power requirements are hard to judge without proper benchmarks. Newer, higher resolution displays are usually more power efficient with better colour reproduction.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post
                  What are you using the 4k monitor resolution in a laptop for ?
                  The screen size; the horsepower required to drive that resolution; the battery life..

                  I would rather have a screen with wider color gamut and high refresh rate with freesync.
                  Every ones use case is different. I render 4K video and pictures but like you would also like wider Gamut but would also like HDR. I'll trade frame rate all day long for that

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Devorlon View Post
                    I wonder what will come first. A good AMD laptop with switchable graphics. Or Nvidia getting optimus to work properly on Linux.

                    My money's on AMD.
                    Well, we're close to reaching a point where such an idea is no longer needed:
                    Mobile iGPUs are getting powerful to the point where any dGPUs that are significantly more powerful make the laptop chonky and are a battery hog.
                    If you insist on getting a dGPU because you need the extra performance (particularly, memory bandwidth), DDR5 laptops will likely come next year, and, switching to integrated graphics likely isn't going to save you a substantial amount of battery life. Granted, I don't actually know how much more battery life you lose by using strictly a dGPU in a modern laptop when not gaming or rendering.
                    If you need Nvidia for the sake of things like CUDA or tensor cores, external GPUs are becoming more common. You can still stick with your laptop's graphics if you're just using an external number cruncher.

                    EDIT:
                    For current laptops, switchable graphics is still necessary or compelling, but my point is by the time proper switchable graphics are available, they won't really be needed anymore.
                    Last edited by schmidtbag; 03 June 2021, 03:12 PM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X