No announcement yet.

Open-Source R600 OpenGL Support May Come Soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good news! I had a feeling that behind the scenes there was already a lot of code being written to get OpenGL support for r6xx/r7xx.

Comment

OK, so it's moving forward and I'll suppose I'll get stuff very soon in my F11, but it still takes forever. Hopefully, you will not be surprised that many go to Larabee when it's released, if it's any good ...

Comment

give it another year and look back, it should be working by then!

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          Two main issues :
          2. We borrowed shader compiler code from an in-house driver stack used for pre-silicon hardware testing. Richard ended up re-writing a fair amount of it but we still need to review the contents of that code before release.
          This certainly sounds a the fast way to get a working driver out the door and exciting to hear of the progress... but wouldn't it be worth while to put that effort into maturing the Gallium3d/LLVM stacks? [perhaps more effort now, but longer term benefits of more developer eyes on the same driver stack -- or was the re-write relatively straight forward]

Comment

Originally posted by Craig73 View Post
            This certainly sounds a the fast way to get a working driver out the door and exciting to hear of the progress... but wouldn't it be worth while to put that effort into maturing the Gallium3d/LLVM stacks? [perhaps more effort now, but longer term benefits of more developer eyes on the same driver stack -- or was the re-write relatively straight forward]
            I think that's the plan when R600/700 3d is working as good as R500 works now. A complete new chip and a complete new architecture at once is not so good...

Comment

Yep, that's it. The other issue with Gallium3D is that both it and the Mesa changes above it are designed for a GEM/DRI2 environment, and we wanted to get 3D support out for all the currently shipping distros as well.
              Test signature

Comment

Working...
              X