Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Introduces FidelityFX Super Resolution, NVIDIA Announces DLSS For Steam Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Introduces FidelityFX Super Resolution, NVIDIA Announces DLSS For Steam Play

Phoronix: AMD Introduces FidelityFX Super Resolution, NVIDIA Announces DLSS For Steam Play

At AMD's Computex Taipei 2021 keynote they announced FidelityFX Super Resolution as coming later this month as their own open-source alternative to NVIDIA's Deep Learning Super Sampling for image upscaling while gaming. While we are waiting to see how the Linux support for FidelityFX Super Resolution will play out, NVIDIA is already trying to one up them by announcing DLSS for Steam Play...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good job, AMD !
    And thank you !
    Glad I'm not an Nvidia user.

Comment

We are all glad you're not too because it would be worse for Nvidia if you were lol

Comment

nvidia can showel it in their DLSASS!

Comment

Woohooo, seems like we'll have much better gaming experience on Linux... It's going to be huge improvement for HiDPI users even for pretty demanding games. Now we need to wait about half a year to get those features up and running with most games. I just hope GPU prices will drop at least to the point it makes sense to buy something and we'll have some decent gaming by winter

Comment

Even if is not on par of DLSS 2.0 the fact that it is an open (source) standard is a big plus. DLSS is just vendor lock crap like CUDA.

CUDA, PhysX, GSync... DLSS. They love to push their proprietary garbage.
            Last edited by evasb; 01 June 2021, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Glad to see this movement in nvidia but i never would buy Nvidia GPUs while the open source driver is unusable.

Comment

Originally posted by evasb View Post
                DLSS is just vendor lock crap like CUDA.
                I would say it's even worse. Cuda at least is natively available in linux. But from the pull requests they have done, seems to me this DLSS is only a hack in wine/proton to make it load a windows DLL that they will distribute together with their driver. There is no native linux implementation so this will not work ever with native linux binaries, only windows ones.

Comment

There were recently dome rumors that Valve will release mini-consoles powered by Linux.
                  Maybe they are powered by Nvidia GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post
                    There were recently dome rumors that Valve will release mini-consoles powered by Linux.
                    Maybe they are powered by Nvidia GPUs.
                    Any source of those rumors? If so, I don't see why would they choose NVIDIA over AMD and not the other way around. It doesn't make sense at this point from the technical perspective - it could only make sense if they'd came out with some great deal for their console's chips.

Comment

Working...
                    X