Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Introduces FidelityFX Super Resolution, NVIDIA Announces DLSS For Steam Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey nvidia, how about gsync/freesync on multimonitor on linux? how about wayland? how about HDR? is HDR even working on any setup?

Comment

Originally posted by NomadDemon View Post
      Hey nvidia, how about gsync/freesync on multimonitor on linux? how about wayland? how about HDR? is HDR even working on any setup?
      AFAiK, hardware support is not that much of an issue when it comes to getting HDR running on Linux. At least AMD (and maybe NVIDIA too, I'm not sure) provide hardware support that makes it possible to use HDR. Some Linux powered devices might use it, but we simply have no support for HDR on the desktop side (X11, Wayland). There were attempts to bring "DeepColor" extension to X like 4 years ago and it probably won't ever happen eventually. When it comes to Wayland it's moving slowly: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayla...ge_requests/14
      Last edited by bple2137; 01 June 2021, 09:38 AM.

Comment

AMD's opensource FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) will be Freeync all over again. Opensource for the win. AMD even showed it working on a GTX 1060, outch:

Last edited by M@GOid; 01 June 2021, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
          AMD's opensource FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) will be Freeync all over again. Opensource for the win. AMD even showed it working on a GTX 1060, outch:

You are comparing apple to oranges here. Freesync and gsync are basically the same techno, with no clear advantage for gsync (there are some very small ones, but price is crazy which completely offsets them).
          Whereas FidelityFX has nothing in common with DLSS (it is painfully obvious in the video). It is just an upscaling without anything smart about it. Honestly, except for marketing and the fact that it will be integrated into games directly instead of through manual config, I don't see the point. It has already been said by at lest Metro Exodus devs that they will not support it either.
          DLSS is an actual AI powered implem, which really is an innovation and has a real advantage over good old upscaling.
          So yeah, what AMD open sourced is just the same thing everyone has been implementing for decades. Maybe with some clever tricks to make it look a bit better, but from the video, i am not convinced.

Nvidia also seems to globally be coming around with proper Linux support(VFIO support, NVAPI support, direct contrib to dxvk for dlss most notably). I am cautiously optimistic that the rumoured big open source driver might really be them now.

Comment

Originally posted by bple2137 View Post

Any source of those rumors? If so, I don't see why would they choose NVIDIA over AMD and not the other way around. It doesn't make sense at this point from the technical perspective - it could only make sense if they'd came out with some great deal for their console's chips.

It will probably be a device like Aya Neo, GPD Win etc.

AMD is possible candidate imo, a solution that they can have greater control with RADV/ACO/RadeonSI compared to Nvidia stack.

What is Aya Neo and how it runs with Linux and Proton:

Comment

Holy crap! That means I'd be able to use it on my Polaris? D O P E. Is it completely hardware agnostic or what? We'll see about the adoption, but if it will actually give us results similar to DLSS, what's the point of using the proprietary API anymore when game developers can just implement it once for most used hardware.
              Last edited by bple2137; 01 June 2021, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bple2137 View Post

Holy crap! That means I'd be able to use it on my Polaris? D O P E. Is it completely hardware agnostic or what? We'll see about the adoption, but if it will actually give us results similar to DLSS, what's the point of using the proprietary API anymore when game developers can just implement it once for most used hardware.
                Looks like it is from Polaris (RX500, maybe 400 on Linux because of the opensource driver?) forward. I wouldn't expect it to appear on Linux in the near future, tough. Also, I doubt it will be better than DLSS but, if it is like the up-scaling they do on consoles, DLSS will take the way of G-Sync, i.e, it will fade in obscurity, because only the most anal about image quality will care, like MP3 vs FLAC.

Comment

This confirms that the 470 driver is coming out this month. I was afraid they would release another 465 driver that just adds support for the new cards.

Comment

Looks like it is from Polaris (RX500, maybe 400 on Linux because of the opensource driver?) forward. I wouldn't expect it to appear on Linux in the near future, tough. Also, I doubt it will be better than DLSS but, if it is like the up-scaling they do on consoles, DLSS will take the way of G-Sync, i.e, it will fade in obscurity, because only the most anal about image quality will care, like MP3 vs FLAC.
                    If you really care about image quality you don't do lossy upscaling. And that's actually the comparison you made with MP3 and FLAC on it. That's even more of a signal of just how much DLSS is doomed, because FSR looks good enough that no-one enabling lossy upscaling will really mind the difference if it's implemented as a GPGPU shader or a ASIC or whatever. But software developers do care, and programmable is king, so is FSR, then.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                      Good job, AMD !
                      And thank you !
                      Glad I'm not an Nvidia user.
                      Wow. A lot of victory dancing, yet the quality I've seen looks pretty poor. Some people are suggesting that it's little/nothing more than checkerboard rendering + contrast-adaptive sharpening.

Comment

Working...
                      X