No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 9.3 Brings OpenGL Composite Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The test case for Xv has some more info on this. It seems to suggest using a .ogg file and provides a link to a recommended sample file :

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_radeon_xvideo (Xv test plan)

http://www.redhat.com/v/magazine/ogg/NET_MAN.ogg (file)
    Test signature

Comment

• Sorry, I missed that one. I tested the ogg file in totem on the live test cd.

Without compiz it is playing very smoothly but when compiz is enabled it almost freezes.

I also get the message that several updates are available on the rawhide repo including ones for the x11 ati driver and mesa.

How can I test these updates? Should I install the live cd on harddisk then?

Comment

• Bridgman,

Can you tell if it is possible to update some of the f11 rpms in a running f10? I mean if this would be possible could I make f10 work with the new ati driver and the mesa and other related rpms from the f11 rawhide rpms, so that the new mesa and rdr stuff can be used in f10 already?

Comment

• I don't really know that one. Pretty sure you can do it but I don't know how many problems you would run into. You could try just picking up the radeon-rewrite branch of mesa, but if that's not enough I suspect you might end up pulling the entire kernel (in which case you might as well go with F11).

Might be a good question for either Fedora forums or #radeon.

Do you have enough disk space for a second partition ? Whether you run a full F11 install or patch a bunch of code into your F10 install that seems a bit high risk for a running system either way.
          Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr_Ed View Post
            (--) PCI:*(0@1:0:0) ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AR [Radeon 9600] rev 0, Mem @ 0xd0000000/0, 0xff820000/0, I/O @ 0x00009800/0, BIOS @ 0x????????/131072
            (--) PCI: (0@1:0:1) ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AR [Radeon 9600] (Secondary) rev 0, Mem @ 0xe0000000/0, 0xff830000/0

fglrxinfo
            display: :0.0 screen: 0
            OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
            OpenGL renderer string: ATI RADEON 9600 Series
            OpenGL version string: 2.1.8543 Release

NO COMPOSITE OPENGL WHATEVER HERE
            It's the same here, the output looks exactly like the first video, *IF* starting glxgears doesn't crash/freeze the entire system first. Also other OpenGL applications crash/freeze my system (fgl_glxgears, googleearth, mplayer -vo gl/gl2, etc). The strange thing is things like the 'fish-tank' inside the desktop cube do work.
            Also XVideo does not work, I see a black window with occasionally a video frame displayed in it. I haven't tried some of the other video options yet though (OpenGLOverlay, TexturedVideo).

Some information:
            grep RV350 Xorg.0.log: (same as Mr_Ed?)
            (--) PCI:*(0@1:0:0) ATI Technologies Inc RV350 [Mobility Radeon 9600 M10] rev 0, Mem @ 0xe0000000/0, 0xc0100000/0, I/O @ 0x00003000/0, BIOS @ 0x????????/131072
            lcpci | grep "ATI Tech":
            01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 [Mobility Radeon 9600 M10]
            fglrxinfo: (notice the strange version number, which suggests a release other than catalyst 9.3, which should have 8593 instead of 8543. It's the same for Mr_Ed)
            display: :0.0 screen: 0
            OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
            OpenGL renderer string: ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9600/9700 Series
            OpenGL version string: 2.1.8543 Release
            xdpyinfo | head
            name of display: :0.0
            version number: 11.0
            vendor string: The X.Org Foundation
            vendor release number: 10503000
            X.Org version: 1.5.3
            maximum request size: 16777212 bytes
            motion buffer size: 256
            bitmap unit, bit order, padding: 32, LSBFirst, 32
            image byte order: LSBFirst
            number of supported pixmap formats: 7
            uname -a
            Linux shogoki 2.6.28-gentoo-r2 #4 PREEMPT Thu Mar 12 15:02:36 CET 2009 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.70GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Comment

• Bridgman,

I was able to install F11 on a spare disk here.
              I tried the F11 (rawhide) with all the latest rpms.

On my ATI 9600XT when Compiz enabled Xvideo is slow / choppy .

For the rest I must say it is unbelievable how nice it already runs.

In compiz:

glxgears in a wobbly window and very smooth.

Adobe flash in firefox and smooth and faster then without compiz on current F10.

Great work!

But how do I report this Xvideo issue in compiz in rawhide?

Should that also be in redhat bugzilla?

Regards,

Eddie.

Comment

• F11 is realy going to be a nice release. Pulseaudio has improved greatly and supports choosing number of attached speakers (4.0, 4.1, 5.1, etc) too.

Starting Linux has never been so fast.

And the complete renewed Mesa drivers and RDR seems to be very fast and smooth.

I can't wait for the final release!

Comment

• Mr_Ed:

They won't fix it since 9600XT is in their 'dropped' list.

Stick with OSS driver at least they are good at video playback.

Comment

• Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
                    Mr_Ed:

They won't fix it since 9600XT is in their 'dropped' list.

Stick with OSS driver at least they are good at video playback.
                    AFAIK Mr. Ed is using the OSS drivers from F11 which include DRI2, RDR, KMS etc...

Originally posted by Mr_Ed View Post
                    But how do I report this Xvideo issue in compiz in rawhide?

Should that also be in redhat bugzilla?
                    I was told yesterday that bug reports are still being requested for the drivers in F11. A few other people reported the slow/choppy video under compiz issue so there is probably a bugzilla ticket already, in which case adding your info to the existing ticket would probably be better than starting a new one. I'll try to check the database later today and see what is already there.
                    Last edited by bridgman; 08 April 2009, 10:16 AM.
                    Test signature

Comment

• I'm hoping to gather info from the experience of others, so I have one simple question. Well, probably simple.

Does the Desktop Environment impact the efficiency of video playback using the Catalyst driver? That is, will switching from KDE 3.5 to either Gnome or KDE 4.2 make a difference?

Comment

Working...
                      X