No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 9.3 Brings OpenGL Composite Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a 4850 and works perfectly on my Ubuntu 64Bit. Not a single problem found yet. (I do play in Wine with composite enabled now)

Comment

"Expect compositing to improve in future releases" ....

Yeah this is *GREAT* unless you happene to have bought your ATI card a little over 18 months ago...........

Also, does it still kill your computer to resize a window ? .. IMO they shouldve fixed 'window resizing' before introducing redirectered direct rendering ..............

Comment

Originally posted by pedepy View Post
        "Expect compositing to improve in future releases" ....

Yeah this is *GREAT* unless you happene to have bought your ATI card a little over 18 months ago...........

Also, does it still kill your computer to resize a window ? .. IMO they shouldve fixed 'window resizing' before introducing redirectered direct rendering ..............
        Resizing is fixed for me... HD3650

Actually I think this is a great release.

Comment

Any ideas from the AMD/ATI developers here on my issue with the freeze upon X startup? Would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by duffster View Post
            This is a technical forum, so let's leave religious hang-ups at home.
            Amen to that, bro!

Comment

Originally posted by lbnbfhytoydkdd View Post
              Any ideas from the AMD/ATI developers here on my issue with the freeze upon X startup? Would be greatly appreciated.
              I can confirm this behavior in the 9-3 (8.953) driver. I can run for a little bit, but if I start glxgears, there are NO gears in the windows and the FPS go into a death spiral:

1900 frames in 5.0 seconds = 380
              200 frames in 5.0 seconds = 40
              175 frames in 5.0 seconds = 35
              100 frames in 5.0 seconds = 20

Then BAM my laptop is locked up tighter than a drum. (Toshiba P205D w/X1200 card and openSuSE 11.0) The 9-3 driver introduced a new error on my system:

(EE) fglrx(0): Failed to allocate dynamic shared buffer!

It might have been present in 9-2, but that driver would NOT even run on my laptop. Why you ask??, it would cause my laptop to reboot on xdm start. Damn frustrating.

After the latest borked 9-3 borked ATI driver for my hardware, I sadly now have a script that reverts to the 8-9 driver that still works flawlessly on my system. Why in the heck can't ATI get the problems fixed for the x1200-x1300 mobile radeon cards that were introduced with the release of the 8-10 driver??

Back to 8-9:

03:24 alchemy:~> glxgears
              4944 frames in 5.0 seconds = 988.783 FPS
              5041 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1008.174 FPS
              5031 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1006.023 FPS
              5032 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1006.366 FPS

Compiz works great - no stability problems at all. Guess were just screwed again for the time being....

Good luck to ATI with the 9-4 driver. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while... Maybe it's ATI's turn?

I have loaded an run every fglrx driver since October 2007 - through the dark days of SONAME mismatches, etc.., but I am so put out with the last 6 ATI driver releases -- it's just a shame I can't rip the integrated card out of my laptop. I'd drop a $50 8600GT in there so fast it would make your head spin and all my video driver problems would be a thing of the past...

ATI just need to opensource the damn driver once and for all. I guarantee you all the driver bugs would be resolved in 30 days and people would no longer be scared to death to buy anything with an ATI card in it.

It simply makes no since at this point and this day and age.. It is becoming painfully obvious that ATI can't manage the driver anymore on outsourced tech support and developers -- what a shame..

Comment

I still have a problem, that I can't use XV output on Mplayer. If I do so and change to fullscreen and back to normal size the X-Server dies ...
                I have a Radeon HD 4670 and the newest catalyst 9.3 driver for Linux ...

Comment

It works great in opensuse 11.1 amd64/kde 4.2.1, and not so great in kubuntu 8.10 32b (kde4.2x) on the same hw (x2 4850e/2G/9550-128MB); if I enable effects it is unusably slow on kubuntu (otherwise it works as good as whatever fglrx was in the 'buntu repos). I'm not sure whether its compiz or kwin in both/either distro though, and I did spend a little more time and attention on tweaks for suse.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    Phoronix: AMD Catalyst 9.3 Brings OpenGL Composite Support

While the Catalyst driver for Windows was released a number of days ago, the Catalyst Linux driver was missing. It has, however, been released today. AMD's Linux engineers ended up delaying the Catalyst 9.3 release so they could spend additional time tuning this driver, since it will be the last release that supports the R300 through R500 series as the support is being dropped. The significant feature that was pushed back into the Catalyst 9.3 Linux driver is improved Composite support.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=13632
                    Nice demo but why doesn't it work on my ati radeon 9600XT card?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr_Ed View Post
                      Nice demo but why doesn't it work on my ati radeon 9600XT card?
                      Or my 9800XT card?

Comment

Working...
                      X