No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 9.3 Brings OpenGL Composite Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for that link, but I remember I already had it read.

Sincerelly, I don't understand everything on that link.
    They say that I could get now a 1.5.3 server up and running and being not so unstable as I imagined?
    They also give a little wiki on how to achieve this, but too quick for me : how can I merge a x11.stable.list? where can I find that?
    What special information will I find reading the stabilisation bug they are talking about?

You know, I really don't think I have the knowledge to help in any way. I'd rather wait for the moment of the portage will be marked as stable.
    I think any earlier move from my side will only make lose time for answering my questions on Gentoo forums.

Comment

If you wait for stable, you will face the problems when it happens. It's better to face those problems now.

I slightly suspect that you're using the wrong distro. If you don't know what package.keywords is, or don't know what "a bug" on the tracker is, you shouldn't be using Gentoo in the first place

Comment

Just downloaded and tried this driver. Odd thing is that (unless I'm still using the older 9.2) the new 9.3 driver seems to be no different! I don't see any speed increases in 3D nor in rendering (I'm trying KDE 4 here, and rendering - for example - with 'wobbly windows' with the 9.2 driver - was fine) .

Edit Video can still be problematic -- depends on the player. KDE 4's dragon player dies a lot x.x but playing with the command line version of mplayer (under slamd64 12.2), packages (.tgz) found here - http://www.amigib.nazwa.pl/linuks/slamd64_12.2/ (for mplayer and its deps) video seems to play ok and go to fullscreen and back without a crash by doing this:

Code:
        mplayer myvideo.mpg -vo gl
        Haven't tried it with anything but MPEG 2 videos so far (namely a brief test video I recorded from a freeview transport stream; that's digital TV, btw).

ljones
        Last edited by ljones; 27 March 2009, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Am I missing something here? Just installed this on a fresh install of Ubuntu 8.10 and I am not getting any opengl composite support. Its almost like I am using the 9.2 driver still... no change at all.

Comment

Video playback is still a headache with this revision, but it really depends on the player you're using. Totem + Gstreamer + XV is horrible; choppy playback, off-center videos (window), and kills X if you switch to fullscreen mode. VLC works fine as far as I can tell, and so does mplayer. The no blinking thing with opengl is with both games and videos, which is nice for those that like using opengl instead of Xv for their video playback. Oh, and attempting to manually resize a widowed video will kill X as well (moving it is no problem).
            Compiz resizing is weird. As soon as I installed the driver I was excited that windows resized smooth as silk, but then when I restarted the machine windows resizing was laggy again; and now as I type this resizing is butter smooth again. Go figure.

Originally posted by dcarpenter85 View Post
            Am I missing something here? Just installed this on a fresh install of Ubuntu 8.10 and I am not getting any opengl composite support. Its almost like I am using the 9.2 driver still... no change at all.

You must be blind then.

Last edited by Melcar; 27 March 2009, 08:33 PM.

Comment

ut2004 works flawless with kde4.2.67 and effects turned on
              resizing windows without 'content' is fast
              xv does not lock up the box when resizing the output window, but with xine it is still a bit buggy. No problem with mplayer or tvtime
              bookmarks pop up instantly.

everything is fine.

Comment

In Catalyst 9.3 are also a variety of fixes in this release and minor additions like enabling RandR 1.2 and CrossFire on dual-GPU graphics cards.
                Part of me hoped that meant Crossfire support had finally been extended beyond RadeonHD 4x00 series cards... but it doesn't look like it.

Granted, I'm not actually aware of anybody running Crossfire x1x00 series cards due to the problems of finding a master card, and actually getting a Crossfire capable motherboard back when the x1800's and x1900's were on the market...

Comment

Originally posted by dcarpenter85 View Post
                  Same with me. I'm running compiz on Debian Squeeze with kernel 2.6.28.7 and I see no noticeable difference. glxgears still stays in place when I drag the window.

Comment

Sucks that he last driver for my laptop broke suspend

With this new driver, suspend shuts down and my lights do a quick flash and then they stay on.

I have to go back to 9.1 release.

Lame

Comment

Compositing and GL apps seems to work perfectly here now, so definitely an improvement there. Resizing windows is still laggy though. For a while I thought video + composite was fixed, but seems I still get system freezes occasionally when playing video and switching them to fullscreen. I suppose I'll have to continue turning KDEs compositing off before watching videos. Still, glad to notice an improvement in this release.

I'm on OpenSUSE 11.1, kernel 2.6.28.8 (no patches), glibc-2.9, xorg 7.4, KDE 4.2.1, Qt 4.5
                      Sapphire Radeon 3870 - 512MB
                      Last edited by Thingy; 27 March 2009, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X