Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Releases ROCm 4.2 Compute Stack

Phoronix: AMD Releases ROCm 4.2 Compute Stack

Just over one month has passed since the release of Radeon ROCm 4.1 and it's now been succeeded by the ROCm 4.2 feature release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Best link for release notes etc... is the top-level repo: https://github.com/RadeonOpenCompute/ROCm
    Test signature

Comment

At least AMD listened and opened Radeon Rays again... hopefully they are listening to the people needing ROCm on RNDA.

Comment

Radeon
        RX 550
        (Lexa)[22][23] April 20, 2017
        Looks like we just missed the fourth birthday of the most recent consumer GPU to be officially supported by ROCm. They grow up so fast.

EDIT: I am wrong. Three-year-old vega is supported.
        Last edited by extremesquared; 12 May 2021, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by extremesquared View Post
          Looks like we just missed the fourth birthday of the most recent consumer GPU to be officially supported by ROCm. They grow up so fast.

EDIT: I am wrong. Three-year-old vega is supported.
          Radeon VII launched a little over 2 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
            Radeon VII launched a little over 2 years ago.
            And doesn't work with any of rocm 4.x series properly. There is either something in the known problems or just unexpected bugs happen. WTF.

Comment

I cant understand why navi is not supported, amd need to improve their support, hire more devs or something

Comment

Just for some positive feedback: Rocm-OpenCL works for me on my 5700. I'm on the latest fedora and I am simply using the official AMD repository. I think I had to add /opt/... manually to my (LD_LIBRARY)path for it to work. But thats it. I didn't manage to install it for a long time, but with 4.1 I managed to manually install it and yesterday I tried the repo again and it worked without a problem.

Comment

So, does it work on NAVI or not? I still recall 2019, when I was jokingly saying that it would take a lot of time for AMD to support ROCm on NAVI. Boy it's taking forever

Comment

It's becoming a bit of a joke, an entire software stack that only supports 3 Vega card models that no one owns.
                    I wish I could use an AMD card for ML work since Nvidia's drivers are just a buggy mess, but apparently that won't happen anytime soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X