Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Publishes Radeon Rays 4.1 As Open-Source

Phoronix: AMD Publishes Radeon Rays 4.1 As Open-Source

Last year Radeon Rays 4.0 brought Vulkan support while dropping OpenCL and at the same time no longer being open-source... This GPU-accelerated ray intersection library used by the likes of Radeon ProRender is out today with version 4.1 and now it's back to being open-source...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great to see AMD is back in the open-source game...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Great to see AMD is back in the open-source game...

They never really left. Just because a new release is not open source doesn't imply that AMD has given up on open source software. In the case of AMD they may of had to resolve a problem or two, to get approved for a complete release. Open source has been working really well for AMD and I suspect management knows it, I really don't see them abandoning anything here.

Comment

Would be interesting to see blender picks this up.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

They never really left. Just because a new release is not open source doesn't imply that AMD has given up on open source software. In the case of AMD they may of had to resolve a problem or two, to get approved for a complete release. Open source has been working really well for AMD and I suspect management knows it, I really don't see them abandoning anything here.
          What I meant is, the project was called GPUOpen, and Radeon Rays 4.0 was the opposite of the project's name...

Comment

What I meant is, the project was called GPUOpen, and Radeon Rays 4.0 was the opposite of the project's name...
            Think of GPUOpen as you would OpenGroup or OpenVMS.

... as in not really open. Quite closed in fact.

(Glad they resolved it though!)

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
              Think of GPUOpen as you would OpenGroup or OpenVMS.

... as in not really open. Quite closed in fact.
              Please explain.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                Please explain.
                Open standards, closed implementations.

However GPUOpen is not a standards group...

Comment

However GPUOpen is not a standards group...
                  Neither is OpenVMS to be fair. A number of software from the Open Group has remained proprietary too. CDE and Motif was some good examples for most of their lifespan.

Though I did away from mentioning OpenGL on purpose because it isn't really a library but a spec. Many implementations are proprietary as you probably know.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Neither is OpenVMS to be fair. A number of software from the Open Group has remained proprietary too. CDE and Motif was some good examples for most of their lifespan.

Though I did away from mentioning OpenGL on purpose because it isn't really a library but a spec. Many implementations are proprietary as you probably know.
                    Technically Motif was an open spec with proprietary implementation also.... Motif is[or was] even an IEEE standard....

Comment

Working...
                    X