Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Sends In ASPM Support, FreeSync Fixes For Linux 5.13 Cycle

Phoronix: AMD Sends In ASPM Support, FreeSync Fixes For Linux 5.13 Cycle

On top of the prior AMDGPU feature pulls for Linux 5.13 that brought Aldebaran support, FreeSync HDMI, and other improvements, another round of updates were sent in on Friday...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope this isn't what they did with their Windows drivers, because on newer drivers I get random BSODs at least three times a day with the error being PCIE power :\
    On Linux I don't have the problem, but if I encounter the problem because of this "feature" not sure what I will do.

Comment

What about ASPM on nvidia cards? If not I'm wrong it is well managed by proprietary drivers.
      Last edited by Azrael5; 24 April 2021, 04:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
        What about ASPM on nvidia cards? If not I'm wrong it is well managed by proprietary drivers.
        Who knows? Maybe some day NVIDIA will document their cards and stop using firmware licensing to discourage the distribution of alternative drivers, and then we can find out.

Comment

Originally posted by digitalsin View Post
          I hope this isn't what they did with their Windows drivers, because on newer drivers I get random BSODs at least three times a day with the error being PCIE power :\
          On Linux I don't have the problem, but if I encounter the problem because of this "feature" not sure what I will do.
          Do you have a Polaris and can't use an AMD driver past 21.2.3 on Windows? Any of the 21.3.X drivers crash my 580 to the point that I have to hard power off a few minutes into any game so, yeah, I too hope that's not the same update we're about to get on Linux.

Comment

Didn't take long to turn into a windows issues thread...

Comment

Originally posted by ATFx View Post
              Didn't take long to turn into a windows issues thread...
              We have a shared codebase. I'm not sure how close their developments are, but if the newest stuff on Windows makes our GPUs act wonky it's valid to wonder if the upcoming Linux updates will effect similar hardware in a similar manner.

I just saw that they released a 21.4.1 WHQL driver so hopefully that fixes most or all of my Windows problems. I've been awake for 30 mins so I don't feel like rebooting into Windows and playing a game to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

We have a shared codebase. I'm not sure how close their developments are, but if the newest stuff on Windows makes our GPUs act wonky it's valid to wonder if the upcoming Linux updates will effect similar hardware in a similar manner.

I just saw that they released a 21.4.1 WHQL driver so hopefully that fixes most or all of my Windows problems. I've been awake for 30 mins so I don't feel like rebooting into Windows and playing a game to find out.
                No offense:
                Not with Mesa Drivers
                Not with Windows itself
                Last edited by ATFx; 24 April 2021, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  Do you mean "shared between Linux and Windows" ? AFAIK the only shared code between Linux and Windows at the moment is:

- AMDGPU-PRO OpenGL and Vulkan (but most Linux users run radeonsi and radv)
                  - OpenCL compiler & runtime (running over PAL on Windows, ROCR on Linux for GFX9 and up)
                  - display core code (DC)

All of the other code is independently developed and maintained.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                    so are you wrong or not?

Comment

Working...
                    X