AMD Sends In ASPM Support, FreeSync Fixes For Linux 5.13 Cycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    Do you have a Polaris and can't use an AMD driver past 21.2.3 on Windows? Any of the 21.3.X drivers crash my 580 to the point that I have to hard power off a few minutes into any game so, yeah, I too hope that's not the same update we're about to get on Linux.
    I have a 5700 xt and have to use win10-radeon-pro-software-enterprise-21.q1.1 for it to be stable. I noticed the Feb 2021 drivers 21.2.2 and 21.2.3 were sort of buggy, but the March 2021 drivers 21.3.1 are worse and often repeat a BSOD with the only description referring to PCI Express Power. The win10-radeon-software-adrenalin-2020-edition-19.12.3-dec18 was the most recent stable release aside from the enterprise drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by digitalsin View Post
      I hope this isn't what they did with their Windows drivers, because on newer drivers I get random BSODs at least three times a day with the error being PCIE power :\
      On Linux I don't have the problem, but if I encounter the problem because of this "feature" not sure what I will do.
      Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      Do you have a Polaris and can't use an AMD driver past 21.2.3 on Windows? Any of the 21.3.X drivers crash my 580 to the point that I have to hard power off a few minutes into any game so, yeah, I too hope that's not the same update we're about to get on Linux.
      Originally posted by digitalsin View Post
      I have a 5700 xt and have to use win10-radeon-pro-software-enterprise-21.q1.1 for it to be stable. I noticed the Feb 2021 drivers 21.2.2 and 21.2.3 were sort of buggy, but the March 2021 drivers 21.3.1 are worse and often repeat a BSOD with the only description referring to PCI Express Power. The win10-radeon-software-adrenalin-2020-edition-19.12.3-dec18 was the most recent stable release aside from the enterprise drivers.
      try
      -adjusting or disabling the pcie power management in windows power options
      -switching to a lower pcie gen in bios (2 from 3, or 3 from 4 on newer mobos), actually gen 2 doesnt have ASPM as part of the spec so that's one way to disable it if there's no toggle for the linux kernel
      -nudging all the gpu volts in the performance tuning settings (but i undervolt the max tier on my polaris so this is probably unlikely... unless the lower ones need the nudge... i've seen a 7970 that needed its idle speed to be underclocked since apparently there's no bios editor to alter/raise voltage, that one i dropped it's lowest mode from 300mhz to 250mhz to solve its freezing)
      -i forgot if you're ryzen users, could try using or not using the ryzen power plan

if you're ryzen, which AGESA are you two? are you aware of a usb dropping issue that made headlines over the past couple months? potentially related, should be fixed in recent version(s)

which mobos are you two? recently i discovered some random hard freeze+black screens were most likely caused by my mobo overvolting the zen+ SoC when set to auto... for months i thought my hynix ram was unstable after a cold boot at 3200 xmp speeds, long story short i decided to go through low level overclocking guides once more, yadayadayada i could boot & bench at 3333 without raising memory voltage so that means the issue was not ram, so far it's been weeks since the last freeze after lowering SoC along with raising VDDP (also disabled each RTT setting, i could say a lot more or guide you with tweaking if you're interested in ddr4 timings, etc)

which power supplies are you two?

anyway, my polaris seems to have no issue on 21.3.1, but the difference from you all is probably that it's win7, or more importantly that i disable the amd system services along with the radeon overlay, the only amd thing i would ever have running is relive during some games

did you notice the release notes for 21.4.1? "AMD Crash Defender: Preserves data and keeps your system running in some cases where your system may have otherwise experienced a crash or hang", i am also curious if your issues persist to try the minimal vs driver only installation options (but i havent poked around this new version yet, wouldnt be surprised if driver only still uses those system services i normally disable)

hmm i just noticed "Radeon RX 400 and 500 series graphics products may experience a TDR during extended periods of video playback" polaris no longer mentioned as a known issue, but this isnt in the fixed list either, never had a problem myself (i dont use OS video players, maybe that's what they tested)

lastly, when comparing versions, especially enterprise, you cannot look at the date or the marketing number, you MUST scroll down the release notes to the 'package contents' section, this is how to tell if a major driver branch has changed, or what branch the enterprise ones are based on because sometimes they lag behind by months, i completely expect older branches to lack newer game profiles regardless of when the driver was released (but i havent hex edited the .dll files to see exactly which games are in which driver version, i used to do this often a few years ago, think i was the first that had evidence of GTA5 coming to pc)

21.10.02/21.09.02 = 21.4.1
      20.50.03.05 = 21.3.2
      20.50.03.01 = 21.3.1
      20.45.40 = e21.Q1.1
      20.45.35.03 = 21.2.3
      20.45.35.01 = 21.2.2
      20.45.34 = e21.Q1
      20.45.33.01 = 21.2.1
      20.45.27.02 = 21.1.1
      20.45.01.28 = 20.12.1
      20.45.01.24 = 20.11.3
      20.45.01.18 = 20.11.2
      20.20.33.02 = 20.11.1
      20.20.33.01 = 20.10.1
      20.20.31.01 = 20.9.2
      20.20.29.01 = 20.9.1
      20.20.27.01 = 20.8.3
      20.20.01.16 = 20.8.2
      20.20.01.13 = 20.8.1
      20.20.01.09 = 20.7.2
      20.20.01.08 = 20.7.1
      20.10.27.05 = e20.Q4
      20.10.?? = 20.5.1
      19.50.29.27 = 20.4.2

so as skeevy says, the 20.50 branch gives him bsods

while digitalsin is a much more complex situation since navi1 has way more granular power management along with the first game-boost clockspeed algorithm, in addition to multiple sources claiming poorly implemented bioses on certain partner cards, mixed with the drivers attempting to be much smarter than they should be (if only the gpus could manage their power states like ryzen can)

but maybe you all should try this new 21.4.1 with its new branch & claimed improved crash handling OR try disabling the crash handling service

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        so are you wrong or not?
        the answer depends by nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by kn00tcn View Post
          while digitalsin is a much more complex situation since navi1 has way more granular power management along with the first game-boost clockspeed algorithm, in addition to multiple sources claiming poorly implemented bioses on certain partner cards, mixed with the drivers attempting to be much smarter than they should be (if only the gpus could manage their power states like ryzen can)

but maybe you all should try this new 21.4.1 with its new branch & claimed improved crash handling OR try disabling the crash handling service
          Well I did disable PCIE power saving but do have an original OEM bought directly from AMD. I should note that I don't have to be gaming for it to BSOD, and it crashes while just web-browsing or desktop applications. I don't think it is a motherboard/power supply issue since the system has worked fine since I bought the GPU on launch day.

Comment

Working...
          X