Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bridgman
    replied
    The radeon-rewrite effort is for r1xx-r5xx, but we're going to be building on it for 6xx-7xx as well. The rollout of 3d code for 6xx-7xx will probably follow a similar sequence to what EXA/Xv required :

- first you'll need both drm and mesa from branches (for EXA/Xv it was drm and ddx)
    - after a while mesa will get merged to master but you'll still need drm from a branch
    - eventually the drm code will end up in the kernel tree and you won't need anything special

I'm sure there will be multiple "how to build it" guides

Leave a comment:

• monraaf
    replied
    Like others I find all this stuff about GEM/TTS/KMS/whatever very confusing and frankly I don't really want to know.

What I do want to know is when OpenGL support is available for r6xx/r7xx how do I get it on my machine. What other stuff besides some specific branch of mesa do you have to install. I sure hope someone writes a howto when the OpenGL r6xx/r7xx support is in the public repositories.

Leave a comment:

• Adarion
    replied
    Good to read the driver's progressing. I hope it'll also inherit all sorts of power management (clock it down, switch of unneded parts that are unneeded for the time).

Leave a comment:

• Regenwald
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    I don't think it does directly, no. But Gallium3D requires things like a memory manager, and this provides GEM support, so this is sort of a pre-requisite to finish up before the gallium work can really begin.

Can anyone confirm that Gallium3D work will begin soon after this is merged to master? Or is that still waiting on other work, like improvements to LLVM?
    hm llvm itself is already optimized for shaders i thought. at least apple uses it for their shader optimizations, too.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by Regenwald View Post
    ok, so this doesn't have to do anything with a gallium3d-driver (aka drm-driver?), does it?
    I don't think it does directly, no. But Gallium3D requires things like a memory manager, and this provides GEM support, so this is sort of a pre-requisite to finish up before the gallium work can really begin.

Can anyone confirm that Gallium3D work will begin soon after this is merged to master? Or is that still waiting on other work, like improvements to LLVM?

Leave a comment:

• Regenwald
    replied
    ok, so this doesn't have to do anything with a gallium3d-driver (aka drm-driver?), does it? omg so difficult :/
    hm i'm going to request a phoronix wiki where we could add information just like these given above from bridgeman so that he doesn't have to answer questions related to gallium in nearly every thread.
    Last edited by Regenwald; 23 March 2009, 04:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    Still waiting with my 4870 for 3D and KDE4 and tear-free video :P

Leave a comment:

• russofris
    replied
    Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
    To say that I'm missing a lot some explanation article as you would explain it to your grand'ma if she would have a Linux box and was waiting patiently for improvments. How would you explain that to her ? (ok, she doesnt even have a box, so, let say your girl-friend or your wife if you like ! ).
    Just tell grandma, "People are trying to fix things that will make firefox pages scroll faster, movies look better, and games play smoother. ETA is 3-6 months."

Frank

Leave a comment:

• Fixxer_Linux
    replied
    Thanks very much Bridgman !

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    There are some "sticky" posts with more details, but here's the grandmother version :

GEM/TTM lets all the different drivers use a common memory manager, which is a pre-requisite for almost all of the other features. Having a good memory manager is also a pre-requisite for some OpenGL 2.x features. Having GL 2.x will allow some apps to run which don't run today, and will allow some other apps which already work to run faster and more efficiently.

DRI2 improves the way that the 3D and 2D drivers talk to each other. The most obvious benefit to an end user is that it supports Redirected Direct Rendering, which fixes most of the problems you see today when running 3D apps under a compositor (flickering, 3D window doesn't get composited etc..). DRI2 needs GEM/TTM.

KMS replaces the current situation where multiple drivers are taking turns programming your display hardware, both during boot-up and when doing things like VT switch or suspend/resume. By having one driver handle everything, a class of problems related to VT switch and suspend/resume can be eliminated. KMS also allows a smoother and more useful bootup display, and provides better support for displaying status during Bad Things like kernel panics. KMS needs GEM/TTM.

Radeon-rewrite is primarily about getting the 3D driver ready to use all these cool things as other components are upgraded to provide them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X