AMD Releases Radeon Software Linux Driver With Vulkan Ray-Tracing Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Releases Radeon Software Linux Driver With Vulkan Ray-Tracing Support

Phoronix: AMD Releases Radeon Software Linux Driver With Vulkan Ray-Tracing Support

AMD Radeon graphics cards on Linux can finally enjoy Vulkan ray-tracing! AMD has published a new Radeon Software for Linux driver release that enables the Vulkan ray-tracing extensions for use with RDNA2 / Radeon RX 6000 series graphics cards...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yooo, it only took half a year since the spec + Windows driver was released for them to type git rebase.

Comment

Finally... but still no AMDVLK support yet.
      I bet it's a legal review issue that's holding it.
      Last edited by spykes; 20 April 2021, 09:21 AM.

Comment

I hope something is done about coin mining so I can buy a now mythical $250 midrange GPU; preferably 7000 series. I've given up on everything current.

OMG. Just realized something: My first AMDGPU GPU was a rehashed 7000 series.

ROFL. In 10 years AMD has gone from 7000 HD to RX 7000

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          Yeah, it's easier to design new GPU architectures than to come up with new numbers
          Test signature

Comment

I wished they added support for Ubuntu 21.04 which will be released in 2 days, but it seems that it's always too much to ask of AMD.
            As for raytracing extensions, as long as they are not part of any open source driver, I couldn't care less.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              I hope something is done about coin mining so I can buy a now mythical $250 midrange GPU; preferably 7000 series. I've given up on everything current.

OMG. Just realized something: My first AMDGPU GPU was a rehashed 7000 series.

Haven't you heard? That's entry level gaming now. $400+ is the new midrange price bracket.

Comment

With this driver, RT kinda works in Metro Exodus, but there are situations where it causes a kernel panic crash in my system. Most notably the very first rendered scene (descending in Moscow from the sky) and loading up another save, when they carry you after you're swarmed in the "tutorial" at the sewers.

I then loaded a save where you sneak through the guards at the trainyard and it seemed to work ok otherwise, 55-80fps at 1440p Ultra + RT High on a 6800.

Comment

So AMD is so superior on Linux because of open source drivers?
                  But only if you do not want to use the RT you paid for...

I think Nvidia users had this on launch day, or am I wrong?

Anyways, I cant get a new card, so I am stuck with my 1070Ti

Comment

Originally posted by obri View Post
                    So AMD is so superior on Linux because of open source drivers?
                    But only if you do not want to use the RT you paid for...

I think Nvidia users had this on launch day, or am I wrong?

Anyways, I cant get a new card, so I am stuck with my 1070Ti
                    The kernel driver is open source no matter the user space vulkan implementation you use. With AMD you're completely free of using RADV along side AMDVLK and AMDVLK-PRO (if I can call that way the proprietary vulkan driver) at the same time. So, yeah, it's far superior as Linux is based on the idea of being free to use in anyway you want your stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X